Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Treatment of loss in S-corp - negative cash flow

In 2017 my S-corp lost a great deal of money because of extremely low sales.  This was a temporary condition and I expect a banner year for 2018.  I have never run a loss in the 25 or so years I've been an S corp.  Usually I take excess profits as a dividend, and make a General Journal entry to net those dividends against Retained Earnings.  In 2017 I paid into the corporation and did not take any salary.  Do I show negative Retained Earnings this year, or must I formally make this a loan to the corporation?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Your cash payment into the S-Corp is considered a Contribution, which increases your equity. This transaction does not affect Retained Earnings.

Report this under Business Info >> Partner/Member Information. Edit the member info, and continue through the interview until you come to the Capital Summary page. Enter the amount you paid into the company as a Cash Contribution.

However, the loss you experienced this year will reduce Retained Earnings. This will be recorded automatically from your entries for income and expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Your cash payment into the S-Corp is considered a Contribution, which increases your equity. This transaction does not affect Retained Earnings.

Report this under Business Info >> Partner/Member Information. Edit the member info, and continue through the interview until you come to the Capital Summary page. Enter the amount you paid into the company as a Cash Contribution.

However, the loss you experienced this year will reduce Retained Earnings. This will be recorded automatically from your entries for income and expenses.

Thank you, but that leads me to the next question.  I zero Retained Earnings each year, so they're negative as of 12-31-2017 till I make my final General Journal entries.  My basis in the corporation is $3,000, and my loss is about $12,000.  Can I take the loss personally for 2017, or must I wait and take the contribution back in 2018 (which should be a good year).
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The loss from the S-Corp flows to your personal tax return via Schedule K-1. You may take losses up to your basis, but anything over your basis becomes a loss carryforward. When you have income in the future, it will be offset by the loss carryforward.

Thank you - I think I once knew that...  Does my basis include 2017 contributions?
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, your basis would include any contributions during the year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies