turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totaled semi truck

My husband totaled his semi truck and insurance  paid us for it. It was depreciated out. We are not buying a new one. How much of what we got do we pay taxes on.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Totaled semi truck

Well, if the truck was fully depreciated, then it had a cost basis of $0.00.  Therefore, whatever the amount the insurance company paid you (the proceeds) would be a capital gain, and taxable.  

If you are Married, filing jointly,  and your income is $0 to $80,000 - your long term capital gains tax rate is 0%.

If you are Married, filing jointly,  and your income is $80,001 to $496,000 - your long term capital gains tax rate is 15%.

If you are Married, filing jointly,  and your income is $496,001 or more  your long term capital gains tax rate is 20%.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totaled semi truck

I have home and business turbo tax.  As I  told you our truck was totaled out  and I answered the questions and they said there would be more questions later but nothing. I have no idea where to enter the income from the insurance company or how much

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Totaled semi truck

You have to go to where you enter the business income and expenses and then look for Business Vehicle Expense and find the screen that says Tell us about your business vehicle. There will be an option on that page to indicate that I stopped using this vehicle in 2020. 

Choose that option and you will be prompted to enter the selling price, which would be the insurance proceeds, as well as some other information and any gain or loss will be calculated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies