turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bengani

Where and how do I enter amortization of Leasehold Improvements in TurboTax Business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where and how do I enter amortization of Leasehold Improvements in TurboTax Business

"Where and how do I enter amortization of Leasehold Improvements in TurboTax Business"

In the 1065, 1120, and 1120-S modules, click the Federal Taxes tab, then click Deductions, and then click the Start button under Depreciation of Assets (see first screenshot).

Proceed through the Step-by-Step screens and then select Other in the Describe This Asset section (see second screenshot).

In the 1041 module, you have to enter Forms Mode and enter the improvement directly on the Federal Asset Entry Worksheet.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

"Where and how do I enter amortization of Leasehold Improvements in TurboTax Business"

In the 1065, 1120, and 1120-S modules, click the Federal Taxes tab, then click Deductions, and then click the Start button under Depreciation of Assets (see first screenshot).

Proceed through the Step-by-Step screens and then select Other in the Describe This Asset section (see second screenshot).

In the 1041 module, you have to enter Forms Mode and enter the improvement directly on the Federal Asset Entry Worksheet.

bengani

I followed the recommended path. However, could not find where to enter the amortization period ( 3 years ).  TurboTax default to 39 years depreciation schedule for this amortization vs. the 3 year lease term that I have with the landlord.

Then in the screen following "Other", you should select "Other asset type", which allows you to enter every aspect.
bengani

I did that and I reached a screen with type of assets "Z". I have tried with various asset type : J4, J5,Z..All of them provide Depreciation plus Section 179 deduction, but no option to enter Lease Period to spread out the spend,
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies