turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davstav

I changed from a c corp to sole proprietor mid year how to report it

I changed from c corp to sole prop. on 8/31/2017 how do i file and show that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The date designated as the change date, as opposed to the filing date, depends on the filing requirements.

1. The C corporation return must be filed up to the date of the change and should be marked "final return."

2. The Schedule C for sole proprietor will start on the date of the change through the end of the year and into the future until or unless another entity is established.

The assets will move from the C corporation to the sole proprietor exactly as they are because they would be moving between related parties. Any asset that was fully depreciated will remain that way and any asset that has some remaining depreciation will continue under the sole proprietor until complete.  Each business will have a prorated portion of the annual amount for 2017.

Ordinary and necessary business expenses will stop or start for each business on the effective date.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The date designated as the change date, as opposed to the filing date, depends on the filing requirements.

1. The C corporation return must be filed up to the date of the change and should be marked "final return."

2. The Schedule C for sole proprietor will start on the date of the change through the end of the year and into the future until or unless another entity is established.

The assets will move from the C corporation to the sole proprietor exactly as they are because they would be moving between related parties. Any asset that was fully depreciated will remain that way and any asset that has some remaining depreciation will continue under the sole proprietor until complete.  Each business will have a prorated portion of the annual amount for 2017.

Ordinary and necessary business expenses will stop or start for each business on the effective date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies