turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file the taxes separately for the trust, or I include the trust's income in my taxes. I am a trustee for my daughter's trust fund.

Hello,

Me and my wife settled a irrevocable trust for our daughter. We are the grantors of the trust and we are also the trustees. The trust owns a house which was rented and so it has an income. Should we introduce the income from rent in our Turbo tax application, or should we file a separate Tax with Turbotax Business for the trust?

Thank you

Eduard

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Should I file the taxes separately for the trust, or I include the trust's income in my taxes. I am a trustee for my daughter's trust fund.

That depends on the terms of the trust.  If the trust was structured as a "grantor trust," all the trust's income and deductions are reported on your personal tax return.  If not, the trust must file a separate tax return and report all income and deductions.  I suggest contacting the attorney who prepared the trust for you for guidance on this matter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

That depends on the terms of the trust.  If the trust was structured as a "grantor trust," all the trust's income and deductions are reported on your personal tax return.  If not, the trust must file a separate tax return and report all income and deductions.  I suggest contacting the attorney who prepared the trust for you for guidance on this matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies