kgpuzio

My small business withheld 5K in federal income tax from employees. Is this a deductible business expense -- like SS tax, medicare, and unemployment tax?

If the 5K is not deductible, is there some other place this should appear in my taxes?  I am using QuickBooks self-employed and don't see a place for it.  

MaryK1

No the tax withholding from your employees is not deductible because it is a subtraction directly from your employee wages that you are required to submit to the IRS.  You act as the trustee for the transfer so it is strictly an administrative task.

MaryK1

kgpuzio

Thank you.  What about state income tax?  Is that deductible business expense?
MaryK1

The state withholding is the same as the federal.
kgpuzio

Thank you!
MaryK1

You are welcome.