Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If an LLC owns a real property for 2 years and then sells it, are the profits deemed "business income" or "capital gains"?

I sold an SFH (Single Family House) owned by my LLC (Single member, Disregarded Entity; NO other income/activity in that LLC) in 2016, for a Gain$. The house was purchased more than a year ago (for repairing and renting out purposes, but never got around to repairing it). In essence, the house was flipped for a gain.

So, If a single-member LLC owns a property for more than a year and then sells it, are the profits deemed "business income" or "capital gains"?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If an LLC owns a real property for 2 years and then sells it, are the profits deemed "business income" or "capital gains"?

Unless you are a dealer in real property, profits from the sale of real property are taxed as capital gains (long-term if you have held the property for more a year).

Please read this article for more information:

http://www.snydercohn.com/2012/09/is-it-capital-gain-or-ordinary-income/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, TurboTaxMinhT, for your prompt response. I concur. However, Can I "elect" to report it as 'Biz. Income' rather than Cap. Gains (I have my own reasons to elect to do so)? If so, how do I do it in TurboTax? TurboTax currently sees this as Cap Gains; which is, in accordance with the Answer. Thanks.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

This is not an election. If you bought the property with the intent to resell it at a profit, then the gain is taxed as ordinary income (like real estate dealers do).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies