Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Do I report section 179 expense recapture if i have $0 income?

One other thing I found- in Turbotax, an "Enterable" form 4797 page 2 is included. (Go to Forms, Open Form, type 4797, select "Enterable 4797".

Part IV includes a space for totals of Section 179 expense deduction allowable in prior years, Recomputed depreciation, and Recapture amount. If you rt-click on box 33, click "about", there is an explanation - and it does say that you take line 35 and enter it as "Other Income" on Schedule C.

Also if you rt-click on box 33, there is an option to add Supporting Details, which allows a Description and an Amount for several line items. I wonder, if you fill out this supporting details form, if it would include it electronically?

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Do I report section 179 expense recapture if i have $0 income?

Yes! Great find. When there is a pop up box for supporting details, I have been told it does e-file. Only the "blank form" does not e-file.
kbrodycpa

"When you convert an asset to personal use, there is no gain to report. However, you must report any section 179 recapture this year. "

There are two separate components in that paragraph:

1. Gain 

2. Depreciation recapture. 

As stated above, depreciation recapture is reported in the year that the asset is converted to personal use.  

Note: Depreciation recapture only applies to assets that are "listed assets", such as passenger vehicles.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies