inqwzitv

Should my dependent file their own return or do I claim their income on mine?

This question has been answered several times on here saying NO do not claim your dependent child's income on your return, have them file their own.  So, I started a whole new return for my dependent child and then Turbo Tax gives me (the child) a prompt that says "since you are under age 18, your parents may need to report some or all of your income on their tax return".  So, which is it?  People in the answer community say NO, but Turbo Tax has a specific prompt/note that says that some of the dependent's income may need to be claimed on the parent's return.

jerry2000
Alumni

If you have dependents who have ONLY  interest or dividend income, you can choose to report that on your tax return
.
 If your dependents have WAGE income reported on a W-2 or a 1099-MISC you CAN NOT report that on your tax return. Your dependents must file their own tax return and report ALL (including interest and dividends)  of their income on their tax return

jerry2000
Alumni

.