Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

inqwzitv

Should my dependent file their own return or do I claim their income on mine?

This question has been answered several times on here saying NO do not claim your dependent child's income on your return, have them file their own.  So, I started a whole new return for my dependent child and then Turbo Tax gives me (the child) a prompt that says "since you are under age 18, your parents may need to report some or all of your income on their tax return".  So, which is it?  People in the answer community say NO, but Turbo Tax has a specific prompt/note that says that some of the dependent's income may need to be claimed on the parent's return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have dependents who have ONLY  interest or dividend income, you can choose to report that on your tax return
 If your dependents have WAGE income reported on a W-2 or a 1099-MISC you CAN NOT report that on your tax return. Your dependents must file their own tax return and report ALL (including interest and dividends)  of their income on their tax return

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you have dependents who have ONLY  interest or dividend income, you can choose to report that on your tax return
 If your dependents have WAGE income reported on a W-2 or a 1099-MISC you CAN NOT report that on your tax return. Your dependents must file their own tax return and report ALL (including interest and dividends)  of their income on their tax return
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies