kevin_ny_2003

S Corp -- PPP loan Forgiveness and Tax extension Deadline -- Sept 15 2021

I am using TT Business Desktop for S corp. Took  loan on PPP on May 14 2020 but the Lender has not yet opened the forgiveness application for round I on his Portal .  

My question is :

1) If the lender does not open the forgiveness application before Sept 15 or if the loan if not forgiven by Sept 15th,2021, Do I need to file the 2020 taxes before Extension deadline of sept 15, 2021 and get back and do an amendment if the loan if completely or partially  forgiven after Sept 15, 2021?

2) How do I handle the PPP loan amount in my TT Desktop product either ways?

Thanks

Kevin

Since it is a LOAN and not income it is immaterial when it gets forgiven ... just file the return on time.

Again it is not income or an expense so the only place you may need to mention it  on the return is on the balance sheet so your books and return match.  

kevin_ny_2003

Thanks for your response @Critter-3 

I recall SBA has issued a guideline that PPP loan is not income and should not be taxed but wanted to make sure based off this can the salary paid off the loan be deducted as expense in Turbo Tax?

What happens when this loan is 100% forgiven by SBA sometime later in 2021? How does that get reflected in the 2021 tax return balance sheet?

Thanks