Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajrosen1

Single Member LLC Self Employed Version; how to use

I have a single member LLC and am using online self employed.  I can't find anywhere to indicate I have an LLC.  Do I need to?   Is just putting in the revenue and expenses adequate?  If not, where do I enter the LLC info, or do I need another version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JulieCo

Yes, to enter your revenue and expenses for your single member LLC you can use TurboTax Self-Employed.  

Single Member LLC's are treated as a "disregarded entity" and are not required to file a separate tax return.  Instead, your income and expenses of your LLC will be reported on Schedule C of your personal tax return.  Nothing on your return will be required to indicate that your business is an LLC.  

To enter your business data in TurboTax, take the following steps:  

In your federal return within TurboTax, under the Income & Expenses tab on the top of the screen, select the Self-Employment Income & Expenses section.  This is where you will enter your business information, income and expenses.

Thanks for the response, but I still have a question:

How do we pay the quarterly taxes inside Quickbooks Self Employed, I enrolled with eftps using my LLC's EIN and quickbooks shows: "Be sure to enroll as an individual with your Social Security number. This won't work if you enroll as a business with your EIN."

Should I skip the quarterly payments and just file the final IRS in 2020?

Thanks

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Agreeing with @JulieCo  excellent answer, just want to add that since this is dis-regarded entity ( for tax purposes ), the eftps registration needs to be using your SSN  and not  the LLC EIN.  When you have emplyoees you will need to use the EIN  & EFTPS / similar facility to deposit the  withholding ( Employee withholding ).  Also  your life would be a lot easier  if your clients  use your SSN  for issuing any 1099-misc.  Hope this clarifies

Oh, ok, thank you so much for the answer. So since I enrolled with EFTPS payments using the EIN but never pay's any quarter yet, should I just ignore that and enroll my SSN instead?

Thank you

pk
Level 15
Level 15

That is correct -- goof luck

Can i still use this if my single member LLC is based in NY?  I am required to file Form IT-204 LL but i dont see an option and i am the sole owner member.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes - being an LLC is a legal term to protect you from liability but doesn't really affect your tax status.  If you are a single-member LLC, you would file a Schedule C in your federal 1040 return.

According to the NY Department of Taxation and Finance website,  Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs):

• A single-member LLC (SMLLC) that is treated as a disregarded entity for federal income tax purposes will be treated as a disregarded entity for New York tax purposes.
    • If the SMLLC is disregarded and the single member is an individual, the SMLLC will be treated as a sole proprietorship for New York tax purposes. 

For New York, since you are a sole proprietorship, your business income and expenses go on your personal return, IT-201 (full year resident or IT-203 (part-year or nonresident).

Hello Experts,

I'm having SMLLC as Disregarded Entity, So please Guide I Need To file 1040NR + 1040 Schedule C.

I'm 100% Owner of LLC as Non US-Residient! So what I need to File Form 5472 &  Form 1120?

I realized From Last Year 2021 Filling has made some mistake to File all these Form i.e 1040 + 1120 + 5472.

Please Guide. Thanks

Regards Osaf Uddin

If you are filing a Sch C as a disreguarded entity then you should not also be filing an 1120 for a corporation.

A nonresident alien cannot use TurboTax. A nonresident alien has to file Form 1040-NR, which TurboTax does not support.

TurboTax has an arrangement with Sprintax to prepare Form 1040-NR for students and scholars. It might not be suitable for a "worker." Here's a question and answer from the Sprintax FAQs that lists the types of visas that it supports.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies