turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelseym3

What is a NOL form for? I've never had to fill out a NOL form. I have no idea why it's asking me to look over this form I have no idea what it's for. HELP

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is a NOL form for? I've never had to fill out a NOL form. I have no idea why it's asking me to look over this form I have no idea what it's for. HELP

That is probably in reference to Form 1045 and manually calculating a net operating loss (NOL) if your adjusted gross income is a negative number.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1045

View solution in original post

4 Replies

That is probably in reference to Form 1045 and manually calculating a net operating loss (NOL) if your adjusted gross income is a negative number.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1045

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

net operating loss (NOL) results from the situation in which a business or individual has more allowable tax deductions than it has taxable income. In this case, the business has negative income, or a net operating loss. That's the bad news. But the good news is that you may be able to take that net operating loss and move it to a tax year in which you had a profit (actually, net operating income) in future years.

To have an NOL, your loss must generally be caused by deductions due to expenses from: 

If you get the screen below, the program has calculated more loss than income. You can look on your 1040 to see it.

If you say yes, then you will be informed that you can carry it forward to 2020.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you advise what Turbotax actually does when you answer YES to having a NOL, other than show the next screen advising you can carry forward? Does it waive carryback, attach any statements, change the numbers on the return, or anything like that?

@Anonymous wrote:

Does it waive carryback, attach any statements, change the numbers on the return, or anything like that?

Apparently, the Section 172(b)(3) election statement is generated but the user has to check the appropriate box on the statement in Forms Mode in order to actually make the election.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies