Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Uploading Docs in Turbo Tax

What is the purpose of uploading documents in Turbo Tax for the 2024 year IF those are not submitted to the IRS?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

The reason to upload documents is to keep a record of all your documents in one place, so that in the event you need them for let's say a mortgage lender you have them.  The IRS or a State may also want to investigate your tax return further, so you will have the documents in one place if they are requested.  I am old enough that I keep a folder for each year in a filing cabinet, but digital access to the documents at all times is clearly better.   

Thank you so much for your question  @aviaragirl 

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Client

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2024 is not open yet and you can't import any documents.  What documents are you asking about?  You might be seeing the My Doc feature that is just to store your documents and doesn't go to your tax return.

What is My Docs
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/small-business-processes/docstm/L0VlCWX5...

So, there is no area to upload a document to support a tax decision in Turbo Tax?

One of the experts stated the document would not go to the IRS.

You can import or upload your tax documents into your tax return instead of typing them in manually.  Right now Turbo Tax is only to do 2023 returns.  2024 won't open  until mid November to start your 2024 return.  Can you explain more what document  you need to upload?  

More related to prove an income entry is "tax free" and a document would back that up.

No.  Just keep it with your tax papers if the IRS ever asks about it.  The IRS doesn't want extra forms or documents when you file your return.   You can upload it to MyDocs for storage.  

kwallace4
Employee Tax Expert

Hello, if you are asking about REQUIRED attachments or elections that must be made in writing or backup such as details pages to your 1099-B with form 8949 when you input the summary, you may need to print the transmittal form 8453 and mail the attachment.  See here for the requirements.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies