turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax comparison between college students

I have three children in college, and each of them worked different jobs during 2020. The oldest was the highest wage earning student and made almost $9000, and is getting a refund of all federal taxes withheld. The youngest made only $7300, and is not getting any of her $243 withheld taxes back. The difference between the two is that the youngest had $3700 wages from a job on a W2, and $3600 income reported on a 1099-NEC (working for DoorDash). After completing her taxes, she owes $0, but I am confused as to why the oldest is getting a full refund while the youngest does not, even though the youngest made less money in 2020? I am concerned that the youngest may have entered some information incorrectly, but after reviewing everything several times, it all seems correct. I'm guessing this has to do with NEC versus W2 income, but I don't see the logic. Any clarity on the discrepancy would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

There is a big difference because no tax was withheld for the child whose income was reported on the 1099NEC.  That child was an "independent contractor" who has to pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.   DoorDash does not withhold tax, SS or Medicare so the DoorDash child has to pay it all herself.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/what-is-the-self-employment-tax/00/25922

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902389-why-am-i-paying-self-employment-tax

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Is there a Schedule 2 line 4 amount in the younger's return?

OK...understood now. Thank you!

Yes, there is. Now I understand that to be associated with the Soc Sec and Medicare taxes that were not paid with the NEC DoorDash income. Thanks for your response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies