turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jar3rd
Returning Member

Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets. Error 190.

Hi,

I have installed both Turbo Tax Home & Business and also Turbo Tax Business.  I cannot open a previous file; get error - Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets.  Error 190.  Any ideas please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Some formsets are not present on this machine. Please install all formsets. Error 190.

Since you have two TurboTax products installed, be sure you are opening the correct data file.   Both a personal tax data file and a Business Edition data file end in the same *.tax201x file extension, which can be confusing.

You will also get this error if the return has state(s) in the file, but you don't have all the state products installed.

View solution in original post

29 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Since you have two TurboTax products installed, be sure you are opening the correct data file.   Both a personal tax data file and a Business Edition data file end in the same *.tax201x file extension, which can be confusing.

You will also get this error if the return has state(s) in the file, but you don't have all the state products installed.

Okay can someone please help??? I've had nothing but issues since 1/29/20. It started off allowing me to do my taxes until time to efile. Once I hit efile it said some of my forms were't available. It prompted me to follow steps and I did so, and still the same issue happened again. I then hit the button to resolve it said it was downloading my state files and preceded to say it was up to date. Turbo tax also emailed me and said my forms were available for download. I also downloaded the link sent to me. still not working. I was issued another copy of turbotax home/Office and I downloaded it and then it wasn't allowing me to upload my ready to file return and started saying the same thing but it has my forms for federal and state. I've tried everything to fix this. I

started researching and found a bunch of others was also having these issues or similar. I tried so many different things. compatibility trouble shooter, running as admin. Uninstalling, reinstalling, turning off automatic updates,firewall, anti-virus software, I also did a manual update for the software and state forms. I went through a 4 hour session with a rep on the phone and she walked me through so many steps to fix and not a one of them fixed.  I'm about ready to get my money back and go with another software if I don't have this fixed and all taxfiles efiled by tomorrow. 2/16/20. I'm far from a rookie with turbotax, I've used this every year for many years, I also file others taxes every year.I'm about 5 hours away from being a anti-Turbotax user, recommender, (my own word)  if this isn't fixed quick!!!! I've lost hell of time and money due to TURBOTAX and can prove it! I was told they haven't been able to fix this issue so If that's the case why continue selling it?? Talking it up like it's awesome however it's NOT!!! [email address removed] 

Did they every help you with this?  I don't see a reply.  I too have used TurboTax over 10 years and spent about 4 hours on the phone today but to no avail.

cheerful
Returning Member

I had the same problem and did not get any helpful answer.   Then I found out that I had to clean up state forms.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-[product ke...

Carl
Level 15

There are two situations I am aware of that will generate the 190 error.

- Trying to open a personal 1040 .tax file with TurboTax Business and vice-versa

- If the .tax file includes one or more state returns, then you MUST install all applicable state return modules before you will be able to open it. Multiple attempts to open the file without the state return modules installed and updated seems to have a very high potential of corrupting the tax file beyond any possibility of recovery by any means.

tomchannell
Returning Member

I am trying to install TURBOTAX ADVANTAGE DELUXE TAX YEAR 2019 MAC DOWNLOAD and cannot.  Please help.

Hudziak

How do I fix it?

@Hudziak wrote:

How do I fix it?

How do you fix what???  You haven't said what you are doing.   This is an old thread from last year with various users with multiple issues. 

What tax year are you referring to?

What product are you referring to--a personal tax product or the dedicated TurboTax Business Edition?  Or do you have both a personal product and the business product installed and trying to open a tax data file with the wrong one?

Are you getting Error 190 when opening a prior-year data file that has a state return?   If so, see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot...

DPS3
Returning Member

how do I install formset on this machine?

@ DPS3 wrote:

how do I install formset on this machine?

Sorry, but I don't know what you are doing, and there's no context provided for your question.  You didn't describe the details of any issue, so we don't know what you're doing or even what product you are using.  Are you using desktop software (CD/download) to prepare a 2020 personal tax return?   Or are you preparing a 2020 Business return (S-corp, C-corp, Partnership, Multimember LLC, etc.?)   Or are you using Online TurboTax for a 2020 personal tax return?

Are you using both the Business Edition software and a desktop personal tax product?

Since you're posting in this old thread, is your topic the same as the threadowner?  i.e., are you getting Error 190, when you try to open a *.taxYYYY data file?

Eusebio
Returning Member

why wont TurboTax business  trans last info

@Eusebio wrote:

why wont TurboTax business  trans last info

With little information to go on, I'll assume you are using the 2020 dedicated Business Edition (S-corp, C-corp, partnership, multimember LLC, etc.) as opposed to a personal tax product.     You didn't provide any description of your issue.  What and where is the roadblock, and is there any error message?

Do you have the *.tax2019 Business edition data file from last year's Business  return on your computer?   If so, when you start a new return in the Business Edition it should search for the *.tax2019 data file, and if it finds it, it should ask you if you want to transfer it into 2020.  If it doesn't find it, you can use the Browse feature to point it to the file.  But be sure it (or you) is not trying to transfer from a personal tax data file.  See the note below:

NOTE:  A 2019 Business Edition data file ends in *.tax2019, but a 2029 personal tax data file also ends in *.tax2019.   So be sure that you are not trying to transfer a personal tax data file by mistake into your 2020 business return.

I AGREE, I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. TURBOTAX HAS SKREWED THIS UP HORRIBLY. TTAX SAID THAT ESTATE K1 FORMS WERE NOT AVAILABLE, THEN I FOUND THE FORMS ON IRS, BUT NO INSTRUCTIONS. I WAITED FROM EARLY FEB TILL NOW AND FOUND OUT OTHERS ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE,  SO FAR I HAVE DELETED AND REINSTALLED NET.FRAMEWORK, UNINSTALLED TTAX.  1 FILE, THE BASIC FILE REINSTALLED FINE, BUT THE 2ND FILE WON'T RELOAD. NOW GETTING THIS ERROR. I SEE THAT SOMEONE SAYS 2 FILES ARE CONFUSING FOR TURBOTAX, BUT I STARTED TTAX BY DOUBLE CLICKING THE FILE IN EXPLORER, IT TRIED TO OPEN IN HOME BUSINESS. HOW ABOUT TELLING US HOW TO FIX SOMETHING HERE.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you are having an error with Formsets, please delete your state return and then add it back as follows.  This has been clearing up the issue for most users.

To do this, log back into TurboTax.

1. Select State in the black panel on the left hand side of your screen when logged into TurboTax.
  2. This will take you to a screen titled Let's get your state taxes done right.  Click continue on this screen.
  3. You will see a list with Status of your state returns.
  4. Simply select Delete to the right of any returns affected.
  5. You can then select Add Another State to prepare your state return again and go through the interview questions to repopulate your state tax return.

Add state

@rudolfhg 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies