Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule E in TurboTax does not allow for reflecting limited partner losses

Schedule E should allow for reporting partnership losses and income as per the reference below from Turbotax. However, in turbotax desktop application and even online when I select schedule E, it only allows me to select "Rental Property" or "Royalty Property or Payment". There is no selection that allows me to to select a partnership loss. Can you please urgently advise how I can fill in a schedule E from scratch to reflect losses in an investment partnership where I invested as a limited partner in an LLC?

Also, are losses in this situation deductible from W2 income or only against passive gains?

"If you are a partner in a business venture, the partnership will report your share of business income, expenses, gains and losses on a Schedule K-1. If you receive this form, you will need to have it handy when filling out the Schedule E since the amounts you input on Schedule E will mirror those on your K-1."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. Yes. All the losses are on your K-1. You simply need to enter the k-1 form and the program will generate the Sch E needed.

2. It first goes against long term gain, then short term gain. If there is still a loss, you can claim up to $3,000 against your regular income. The remainder will be a carryover for future years. See How to carryover a business loss from K-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Amy - 

Unfortunately this LLC did not provide a form K1, but just a statement of loss with supporting documents in a word file and details on my investment. Is this sufficient for me to fill in a schedule E, and if so, how do I fill in the schedule E for a limited partner (myself) that invested in this real estate fund without going through the K-1 form process?

Also, if one is filing MFJ, does the amount one can claim go up higher than $3000 against regular income in a given year? Is there any way to be able to claim MORE than 3k a year from a loss in an LLC investment as a limited partner against w-2 income? I do see in Schedule E part II there are boxes that say "passive income and loss" and "nonpassive income and loss". Wondering how I can claim the entire amount ~20k into the non passive bucket. 

Thanks much!!

I have a similar problem.  I entered a non-passive deduction on the K-1 form, but the deduction did not populate on Schedule E and was not subtracted from my taxable income.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Can you please give some more information?  What box was this deduction listed in on your K1 and are you certain it was non-passive?  And the schedule E usually nets out the income from the K-1.  Are you certain it wasn't already deducted?

@Cmbmichael 

The deduction was listed in box 13, code ZZ.  I have in writing from the partnership issuing the K-1 that it is considered a non-passive deduction and that should be deducted from my federal income on my individual tax return.  I have looked carefully at the 1040 form, and the amount was not deducted anywhere.  It seems as if it should be deducted on Schedule E, but I can't enter it manually there.  Any thoughts?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Code ZZ doesn't get carried anywhere,  That's informational.

If you are sure that this is a legitimate deduction then I would deduct it directly on the K1.  the IRS has received a copy of the K1 and should be aware of the deduction.  So deduct it from the amount that you are entering as the box 1 income and it will net out to the correct amount.  Be sure that this is a legitimate deduction and save copies of everything that justifies the new entry.

@Cmbmichael 

Hi @RobertB4444 It appears that what used to be box 13, code W is now code ZZ for 2023 taxes. In the past, when I chose code W and entered an amount, on the next page of the EasyStep, I would get an option to select "Nonpassive deductions to be reported on Schedule E, page 2". However, in 2023 Turbotax desktop version, when I select code ZZ, I do not have that prompt. As a result, Schedule E, page 2 has blank for the amount I need to deduct and I cannot enter it directly on Schedule E either.

Turbotax needs to fix this missing prompt in 2023 desktop version ASAP.

Do I have any other options? Your suggestions are most welcome. Thank you!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax for Desktop, go to Forms Mode and open "K1P Addl Info" under the related K-1 Partner form. Scroll down to Line 13 Code WW to ZZ, line 6. Enter a custom description on the yellow line and the amount in the yellow box. Your entries here will appear on Schedule E page 2. 

@kr071 

I entered the amount onto the K-1 Addl Info form Line 13 Code WW to ZZ, but it did not carry over into Schedule E p2.  I did not see a yellow box.

@PatriciaV 

That worked for me. Thank you very much for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies