turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlavita
Returning Member

Irrevocable trust distributions

Here's my situation.  My father passed away and had listed his trust as the beneficiary on his IRA. The ira paid out the balance to his trust and they withheld taxes for state and federal. They reported this info on a 1099R.  I prepared the trust return with turbo tax.  I indicated on the K-1 the net amount after taxes were withheld from the IRA to the beneficiary.  Is this net amount still considered income on her personal tax return?  Asking in business and farm section since the return is prepared in turbo tax business. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

IRA distributions are taxable. Having the trust designated as a beneficiary is not a great idea but it's too late now so the income gets passed through on the K-1.

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Typically the way it works is the trust will pay tax on income reported in the name of the trust, but you can deduct distributions to trust beneficiaries from that income. So, if you distribute the income to the beneficiary, that income will be deducted by the trust and entered as taxable income on the personal tax return of the beneficiary.

Often, it is a good idea to pay the income to the beneficiary, as the beneficiary's personal tax rates are often lower than the trust tax rates.

In either case, the income only gets taxed once, either on the trust tax return or the beneficiary's tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

this sounds like a complex trust. under IRC 663(b)(2) 

If within the first 65 days of any taxable year of an estate or a trust, an amount is properly paid or credited, such amount shall be considered paid or credited on the last day of the preceding taxable year.

so to get a deduction for distribution to beneficiaries the trust had to make an actual distribution (cash or property) either during the tax current tax year or within the first 65 days of the next year.  failure results in no deduction. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies