Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to start doing business as an S Corp immediately, what election date should I choose for form 2553 (line E)?

I created my LLC in July 2021, but want to change to an S Corp for taxes. I'm confused about line E, election date. What election date should I choose?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
M-MTax
Level 10

I want to start doing business as an S Corp immediately, what election date should I choose for form 2553 (line E)?

It's the EARLIEST of the date your LLC first had owners, first had assets, or began doing business. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

It's the EARLIEST of the date your LLC first had owners, first had assets, or began doing business. 

Carl
Level 15

I note that you state you are/were confused about the election date. I suspect (and I may be wrong with my suspicion) that you may not be fully aware of the tax implications as well as the filing requirements and other requirements (such as required minimum draw) imposed on an S-Corp.

Now my screen shows you're using the online version of TurboTax. You flat out can not use any version of the on-line TurboTax to complete and file the 1120-S Corporate tax return. So if you want to be treated like an S-Corp from day one of your business, you can't report your business income/expenses on SCH C as a part of your personal tax return.  You may want to consult with a tax professional before you do anything. This would be particularly important and necessary if your state also taxes personal income, as doing things wrong would be a double-whammy for you - and you don't need that in your first year of business.

I only created a turbo tax account to ask a question, not to handle my S-Corp filings here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies