Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to include a Section 1377(a)(2) election on my 2020 Form 1120S. Can you tell how, or if, I can do this?

The circumstances are a 100% stock ownership transition during the year; and each shareholder want to be responsible for profits or losses during the time they owned the business.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I need to include a Section 1377(a)(2) election on my 2020 Form 1120S. Can you tell how, or if, I can do this?

In order to make a Section 1377(a)(2) election on your 2020 Form 1120S, you will need to create a statement that says:

"Name of Company:

Tax Year:

Address:

EIN:

Pursuant to section 1377(a)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations section 1.377-1(b), the above named corporation hereby elects to treat the taxable year ending (YOUR TAXABLE YEAR END) as if it consisted of two separate taxable years for the purposes of applying the rules under section 1377(a)(1).

The first taxable year began on (YOUR TAXABLE YEAR BEGIN DATE) and ended on (DATE OF 100% OWNERSHIP TRANSFER).  

The second taxable year began on (DATE OF 100% OWNERSHIP TRANSFER) and ended (YOUR TAXABLE YEAR END).

The reason for this election is:100% ownership transfer occurred on  (DATE OF 100% OWNERSHIP TRANSFER).

The corporation and each affected shareholder consent to the corporation making this election."

Additionally:

• Each affected shareholder (old owner and new owner) must sign and date the election.
  • The new owner will  have to print and mail the return, attaching the statement.
  • K-1s should will need a heading stating: Section 1377(a)(2) Election Made.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1377

cstegall
Returning Member

Where is the Detail Tab to Select screen 38, Elections?

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@cstegall Are you using the TurboTax Business Product? Are you viewing this on Forms Mode?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies