turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

marco5
Returning Member

I'm unable to access my 1040 Schedule E for editing. I can edit all other forms without issue. Anyone else having trouble with the Schedule E?

I have 43 rental properties....

I heard the maximum is 45, so I should be fine

I have changed browsers, cleared cookies and cache, and everything in between.

still nothing works..

need help

marco5
Returning Member

I'm unable to access my 1040 Schedule E for editing. I can edit all other forms without issue. Anyone else having trouble with the Schedule E?

it has evolved from the spinning blue comet, to a " looks like we hit a snag" response

@marco5 wrote:

I heard there are 70 other customers that are having the same problem. They gave me a trouble report.

it is: INV-10043

Every time I try and hit the add/edit button for rental and royalty income, the system kicks back a "we hit a snag" alert and to repeats  "try back later"

So you have already been talking to Customer Support?  Is that where you got the info above?   If you don't get any suggestions in this user community forum that help, then you'll need to keep talking to the folks at TurboTax Support.    Since you mentioned browsers, I assume you are using Online TurboTax.    If they don't come up with a solution, then switching to the desktop product  "might" solve it, but I have no way of knowing.  It's possible to download your *.tax2020 data file you started online and continue it in a desktop product without starting over if you wanted to switch.  If so, I would recommend Premier or higher with that many properties.)  

I don't know what the number of properties/number of Schedules E limit is in Online TurboTax or the desktop product.

I'm going to ask someone familiar with rental properties to look at your comments to see if he has a suggestion when he is next in the forum.   

@Carl  Do you have any suggestion for this user who has 43 rental properties and trying to use Online TurboTax but getting the "we hit a snag" message and can't edit/update the property info from 2019?

And do you know how many Schedules E one can enter in both the Online and desktop products?

Thanks!!

Carl
Level 15

From what I've been told over the last several years, the program, both online and desktop can handle a maximum of 15 SCH E's, which is a combined total of 45 rental properties and royalty properties combined.

If you have more than 45 rentals/royalties combined, you can do what is referred to as an "aggregation" of 2 or more properties under a single column of the SCH E. Doing that has it's pros and cons though. I can help with that, if needed.

@ Carl wrote:

From what I've been told over the last several years, the program, both online and desktop can handle a maximum of 15 SCH E's, which is a combined total of 45 rental properties and royalty properties combined.

If you have more than 45 rentals/royalties combined, you can do what is referred to as an "aggregation" of 2 or more properties under a single column of the SCH E. Doing that has it's pros and cons though. I can help with that, if needed.

Thanks, Carl.  He didn't mention any royalty properties in addition to his 43 rentals.  But he can't get around that "we hit a snag" error to edit them.   I have no additional suggestions other than what I've already mentioned in this thread, which he says he's already tried.   If it's a TurboTax program error, then they'll have to fix it.  I presume they are investigating it since he said there are least "70 other users" with the problem.

@ marco5 

You mentioned cleaning cookies and cache, and trying different browsers, but do you use any content blockers/script blocker add-on browser extensions such as NoScript, ad blockers, etc.?    One user higher up in this thread had to temporarily disable some Safari extensions in order to proceed, but he was only getting the spinning circle, not the "snag" error.   If it's a known issue with the Online program itself, then TurboTax will have to fix it.

You may need to keep talking to TurboTax Support if they are pursuing this as a known issue. 

marco5
Returning Member

bad news...if they haven't been able to fix the glitch by now, they will never be able to

Hello I'm also having a similar problem that appears not to be remedied by the step by step you gave @ mortonssalt2010. I also ended up at the review page of TurboTax online and was prompted to add a percentage in a blank space on Section 179. I put in 50% because the item listed closest to the pop-up screen view was an item that is used half for personal use and half for business purposes. When I entered this, every single expense I listed for my Airbnb was cut in half. If I go back to Schedule E and click on any of this year's rental expenses, it shows the full expense that I initially submitted. How do I tell TurboTax to disregard my Section 179 mistake and accept the expenses I originally listed in Schedule E?

@cottonfogal wrote:

Hello I'm also having a similar problem that appears not to be remedied by the step by step you gave @ mortonssalt2010. I also ended up at the review page of TurboTax online and was prompted to add a percentage in a blank space on Section 179. I put in 50% because the item listed closest to the pop-up screen view was an item that is used half for personal use and half for business purposes. When I entered this, every single expense I listed for my Airbnb was cut in half. If I go back to Schedule E and click on any of this year's rental expenses, it shows the full expense that I initially submitted. How do I tell TurboTax to disregard my Section 179 mistake and accept the expenses I originally listed in Schedule E?

That other user's issue was different and had to do with editing property address.   He didn't need to go that far into the interview to get to the expenses and asset depreciation/Sec. 179 section.

Sorry I can't help you with a rental expenses/depreciation/Sec. 179 issue.  But I'll see if Champ @Carl can assist you with that Sec. 179 problem you mentioned.

If necessary, we can tell you how to phone TurboTax Support so they can walk you through the navigation to get to the correct screen to correct any Sec. 179 decision.

Carl
Level 15

@cottonfogal SEC179 is not allowed an "residentail" rental real estate. It is on some assets for "commercial" real estate though. That's why that option exists in the SCH E section.

When you take a SEC179 on an asset, then you must take that option on all like-kind assets in the same MACRS classification.

What you need to do is to work through each individual asset listed in the Assets/Depreciation section to remove the SEC179 deduction. You don't need to work through the actual rental property itself, because SEC179 is not even offered on that, since it's not valid.

When you come to the "select an option" screen I expect you'll see that the option to take the SEC179 deduction selected. If so, scroll down and change whatever number you have in the "Amount to deduct" box, to a zero.

Then select the option to "spread the deduction over several years" and finish working through the asset.

You may need to do this for each asset listed, except for the property itself.

M-MTax
Level 10

When you take a SEC179 on an asset, then you must take that option on all like-kind assets in the same MACRS classification.

That rule applies to bonus depreciation and NOT Section 179.

Carl
Level 15

That rule applies to bonus depreciation and NOT Section 179.

Thanks for clarifying that. I had it backwards.

devolus3

Mesquitebean is correct.  I had the same problem; however, the information was correct within each property.  Upon further investigation, below my 3 properties there were 2 BLANK fields on the Rental Properties and  Royalties page.  I may have inadvertently added them.  I hit the trashcan to delete them and the error was gone.

Hope this helps!

D.

I can access page 2 of my schedule C but I can't find page 2 in my forms list (I'm using the download software).When I hit quick zoom on page two to go to page 1 I get a message to add a copy and when I select that option the program does not add a copy . . .  Thinking it might be a bad download copy I purchased another copy and the result was the same. Anyone experienced this problem?

@ pmeadowbrook wrote:

I can access page 2 of my schedule C but I can't find page 2 in my forms list (I'm using the download software).When I hit quick zoom on page two to go to page 1 I get a message to add a copy and when I select that option the program does not add a copy . . .  Thinking it might be a bad download copy I purchased another copy and the result was the same. Anyone experienced this problem?

That's pretty confusing and hard to follow in light of the thread title of Schedule E.  In any case, you shouldn't have had to purchase 2 products.  You can get a refund for one.  We can tell you how.

Please state exactly what you are trying to enter and what schedule Page 2 refers to.  You mentioned "Schedule C" and its Page 2, but this thread title is about "Schedule E," so that's confusing.   You didn't mention a Schedule E in your comment, however, so maybe we were to infer that.   Are you asking about Schedule E, Page 2?

If you are indeed asking something about Schedule C, then please make that clear.

TurboTax has a LOT of "Quickzooms" so it's not clear what all you are doing and why.   You don't have to use the Quickzoom.  Just use the forms list to go directly to the form (if the form has been created.)

On Schedule E, Page 2, a Quickzoom may produce a popup that asks you to choose an existing Schedule E, page 1 to go to (some people have more than one).  If there is no existing Sch E, page 1 shown in the popup box, it'll ask you to create one.    Have you ever created a Schedule E, page 1 (rental/royalty property)?  Do you have such income and need Page 1?  Normally (and ideally) that's created through the step-by-step interview, although it's possible to start the Page 1 process in that popup box.

A Schedule C, page 2 is never shown in the forms list,  Both pages of Schedule C are considered 1 form.

If you are asking about Schedule E and only have rental/royalty property income/expenses, then TurboTax does not generate a Schedule E, Page 2, and thus only Schedule E, Page 1 will be shown in the forms list.  Schedule E, Page 2 is for info partnerships, S-corps, estates, trusts, REMICs, etc.    Once there is an entry on Sch E, Page 2 (if applicable), then the Sch E, Page 2 will also be shown in the forms list.

@ pmeadowbrook 

ADDENDUM to my long answer to you above.

If you are asking about Schedule E, have you gone through the Schedule E step-by-step interviews?   When you go through the interview for rental/royalty properties (flows to Page 1) or the K-1 interview, if applicable, (flows to Page 2), it should automatically create the specific Sch E pages that are needed.    If you are trying to enter a Schedule E solely using Forms Mode, that can be complex due to interactions between several worksheets and is not recommended.   You should be making your entries using the step-by-step interview mode.   Forms mode can be used for troubleshooting and some quick edits, if needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies