turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I invested with a startup LLC and began receiving income for my membership interest. I have not made back my initial investment. Where do I claim this income/loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I invested with a startup LLC and began receiving income for my membership interest. I have not made back my initial investment. Where do I claim this income/loss?

If you did not sell your  interest in the business and the business is still operating there is nothing to report currently on your tax return.

When you sell this investment  you will claim the income/loss in the Investment Section of TurboTax.

[Edited 9:40 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Diane,

I invested in a friend's startup in 2019 through my sole member LLC. The startup did not give any returns in 2019. In 2020 it will likely be declared bankrupt. What tax return needs to be filed for 2019 by me? I would like to claim the investment loss. When can i do that 2019 or 2020?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies