turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shudson

I had a side business two years ago but last year I didn't do anything with it (no expenses, no income) how do I report this correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I had a side business two years ago but last year I didn't do anything with it (no expenses, no income) how do I report this correctly?

If you have had no business activity you do not have to file a tax return for the business.  Common business activities that would require you to file a tax return include; reporting income, expenses, depreciation, sale of business property or the sale of the business.

If you are closing or have closed your side business the link Closing a Business will take you to a TurboTax page that has useful information and links to assist you with the closing of your business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If your business has assets and/or inventory, then even though the business may not have had any income or expenses during the tax year, you can expect to get a nasty gram from the IRS 24-36 months after the filing deadline, asking you for the SCH C to show either the depreciation of those assets, or the disposition of those assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies