turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

capntangen
Returning Member

I had a business as a sole proprietorship for about 5 years and had some years of profit and some of loss. In 2019, I paid the franchise tax and did some advertising,

(I converted to an LLC in 2018), but I didn't actually lead or arrange any trips (it's a travel company) in 2019, so I made $0. I submitted the paperwork to close the LLC in 2019, since I wasn't making any money. I now need to mark final Schedule C, I believe. Should I just do that and not report any losses or can I still report my losses (even though I didn't make any money). Will it flag it as a hobby or something?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

I had a business as a sole proprietorship for about 5 years and had some years of profit and some of loss. In 2019, I paid the franchise tax and did some advertising,

If you had ordinary and necessary business expenses in 2019 for an ongoing business, you should claim them.  

As long as you were in business to make a profit, your expenses are deductible.

Showing a loss doesn't make the business a hobby, and not reporting losses doesn't make it a business engaged in for profit.

IRC § 183(d) provides a presumption that an activity is engaged in for profit if the activity is profitable for 3 years of a consecutive 5 year period or 2 years of a consecutive 7 year period for activities that consist of breeding, showing, training, or racing horses.

The Internal Revenue Service allows you to take a tax deduction for legitimate losses incurred in the operation of your business. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
capntangen
Returning Member

Thanks. I don't remember how many years of profit and loss I had. But let's say that this would make it the third out of five years that I lost money, however I also already took steps to close it since it wasn't profitable . . . 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies