turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self employed and TurboTax keeps telling me 1040 has $0 for multiple lines and connot file. Need help finding the problem.

Thee is no section for the 1040 and my wife received unemployment without a SSA-1099 but the website does not have an option for it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am self employed and TurboTax keeps telling me 1040 has $0 for multiple lines and connot file. Need help finding the problem.

How do I report unemployment if I didn't get a 1099-G?

If you received unemployment compensation from a union, private voluntary fund, or as a state employee, you might not get a 1099-G. Here's how you enter the unemployment:

1. Open your tax return in TurboTax online.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.)

1. Do a search for "unemployment compensation" and then select the “Jump to” link.
  2. On the Unemployment (and Paid Family Leave) screen, answer No and select Continue.
  3. On the next screen, Other Uncommon Unemployment Benefits, answer Yes and Continue.
  4. Answer No on the following screen, and then on the screen after that (Did You Receive Any Other Unemployment Not on a 1099-G?) answer Yes.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your unemployment.

Related Information:

View solution in original post

2 Replies

How do I report unemployment if I didn't get a 1099-G?

If you received unemployment compensation from a union, private voluntary fund, or as a state employee, you might not get a 1099-G. Here's how you enter the unemployment:

1. Open your tax return in TurboTax online.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.)

1. Do a search for "unemployment compensation" and then select the “Jump to” link.
  2. On the Unemployment (and Paid Family Leave) screen, answer No and select Continue.
  3. On the next screen, Other Uncommon Unemployment Benefits, answer Yes and Continue.
  4. Answer No on the following screen, and then on the screen after that (Did You Receive Any Other Unemployment Not on a 1099-G?) answer Yes.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your unemployment.

Related Information:

Carl
Level 15

If you did not have any income for 2019 reported to you on a W_2, then yhou ***MUST*** work through the W-2 section of the program and select the option to indicate that you did not receive a W-2, or do not have any W-2 income for the tax year. Until you do that, the program will continue to ***INSIST*** that you have no income to report and will not let you e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies