turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I properly record converting an LLC into a C Corporation in TurboTax?

I converted my LLC to a C Corporation during 2019. When filling the K-1 entry in TurboTax, I checked "This partnership ended in 2019", followed by "Disposition was not a sale".

However, on the next page it asks me to fill in the Purchase Date and Sale Date. I just said it wasn't a sale!

Should I put Purchase Date and Sale Date as the date of conversion?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I properly record converting an LLC into a C Corporation in TurboTax?

@accounts-mint wrote:
I converted my LLC to a C Corporation during 2019. When filling the K-1 entry in TurboTax, I checked "This partnership ended in 2019", followed by "Disposition was not a sale".

Who prepared the 1065 for your LLC?

Your K-1 should indicate that it is a final K-1 and, typically, a short tax year ending at a certain date in 2019 since the LLC terminated.

You can also select "No entry" for a disposition.

Thanks for the reply. The 1065 was prepared by the company's accountants. 

The K-1 does indicate that it is final, and shows a short tax year.

However, TurboTax asks for a "Purchase Date" and "Sale Date" -- what should I enter for those?

Is "no entry" better than "not a sale"? I don't understand what these choices actually do.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Also, converting an LLC to a C corp may trigger a taxable event. You should have been tracking your basis in the LLC and when converted should now become your basis in the C corp except of course you contributed additional capital.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Keep in  mind also for the S-Corp that the business start date is the same exact date the partnership was started -even if in a prior year. But the "incorporation" date is the day after the partnership was terminated. It's important to understand that, or asset depreciation will be thrown out of whack.

Thanks for the tip.

Under what circumstances would it trigger a taxable event?

Wouldn't whatever tax obligations I have be reported on the K-1?

It's a C corp, not an S corp.

I'm just trying to understand what Turbotax wants for the "Purchase date" and "Sales Date'.

Like, what is asking for?

Are you saying that you think that "purchase date" = "business start date" and "sale date" = "conversion date"?

How does this affect asset depreciation?

@accounts-mint wrote:

I'm just trying to understand what Turbotax wants for the "Purchase date" and "Sales Date'.

You can actually leave those fields blank as long as you have indicated you disposed of the property and entered a date for the disposition.

When you transfer your 2019 return to your 2020 return (next year), the asset will not appear.

What did you come up with? I am in same situation. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies