turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter data directly into forms using the desktop / downloaded version??

How do I enter data directly into forms using the desktop / downloaded version?  You used to be able to change from interview mode to forms mode and type directly into the form. I started online and the help feature said the only way to enter data directly was to buy the CD/downloaded version.  I bought the downloaded version and can’t figure out how to enter data directly into the forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

How do I enter data directly into forms using the desktop / downloaded version??

It is not recommended to enter anything direct to forms as it voids the accuracy guarantee and may keep you from efiling.   Switch to the FORMS mode to make direct entries which may need to be on worksheets as not all can be direct to forms. 

What do you need to enter ?  

Carl
Level 15

A form is not created until "AFTER" you have entered data in Interview Mode that would require a specific form. Also, when using forms mode it is highly probable that you will invalidate the TurboTax 100% Accuracy Guarantee.

Regardless of what is recommended, Intuit waster 3-5 hours of my time and $120 of my money last night.  I was told by the online help feature that entering directly into the forms was only allowed using the CD or downloaded version.  So, I downloaded the software and it still will not allow me to enter directly into the forms.  I'm not worried about the accuracy, TT checks the return before you send it and I had a tax professional help me with the docs.  IRT your question, you know, the normal forms: 1040, 1116, 4562, 8582, 8829, 8879, 8949, 8995, 1120S, 4562 & 8879-S and schedules 1, 2, 3, A, C, D, E, SE & K-1.  Lastly, I've used the forms mode before, but when I click on forms this year, it takes me to the form, but doesn't allow you to enter any data.  You can click on block 1 of the form 1040 and type and nothing appears.  While I appreciate your trying to help, your comment "Switch to the FORMS mode to make direct entries which may need to be on worksheets as not all can be direct to forms.", indicates that a person would be filling in a worksheet and not a form - not at all what I'm trying to do.  And to top it off, Intuit is not open on the weekends or nights now.  Very frustrating!

Thanks, but the question is how to enter directly into forms, not switch to forms mode after answering five hours of questions that I don't need to answer.  TT used to let you open the form and type directly into them.  Forcing you to spend hours answering tons of questions is a waste of time!

Well the TT program is interview based even using the forms mode to some degree ... if you click on the data entry box it will allow you to data source where the entry is to be made so it carries to the form.  With the list of forms you need to fill in the interview is what you really need to use because many forms are interdependent ... however if you are well versed in how to complete those forms you really should use the IRS fill in forms option  for free :  https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/before-starting-free-file-fillable-forms

You can get a refund of the downloaded fees within 60 days of purchase  this way :   

TurboTax CD/Download Refund Request Form

OK ... if you had a tax pro prepare the return why did they not efile the return ?    If you pay them they must sign the return and MUST efile it.   

Thank you very much! Your answers are very helpful!  Unfortunately, it looks like the free-fillable-forms won't work for me because they are missing one of my forms, the K-1.  Other than that, it would have been a great option!  I don't really need free, I mean that's nice but I just want to get this thing submitted and it looks like I'm going to loose the entire weekend.  :(  Thanks again for the help.  I'm gong to scour the web, try to find something else and get my refund.

There are MANY preparers out there that will provide help or complete a return for you that do not e-file.  They're a lot cheaper!  I can pay some $100-$150 and file for <$100 versus paying my CPA $850 for my business return and $600 for my joint return.  So, $200-$250 vs, $1,450.

Any tax preparer that files more than 5 returns per year MUST efile the return ... it is the law.  And if they prepare a substantial portion of the return they must also SIGN the return if you pay them ... again it is the law.

So you paid someone to complete a return which you must now redo using a DIY program to efile it when they should have done it all at the same time.   So you paid a pro $100 or $150 to "help" you prepare a return and also paid $120  for a DIY program and took a couple days to get nowhere ...  so trying to save a couple of bucks  it costs you time & effort  ... was it really worth it ???  

And unless you are completing a form 1065 or 1120S you will not need a K-1 form for a personal return.  A K-1 is informational  and the info on that form is distributed onto the form 1040 but it is not attached to the 1040.   But if you do you can get any fill in form needed right off the IRS site :  https://www.irs.gov/businesses

srand1039

DRT5405

More to the point, how do you enter data into line 31240 when the only "help" says "enter...directly into line 31240"?

DRT5405

DRT5405

Somebody suggested changingthe screen resolution.  Well believe it or not, that _is_ the answer (at least for Standard version).  Click Text Size on the Turbo Tax screen, hit '+' a couple of times, and you're in.

Blindingly obvious to the meanest of minds...

DRT5405

@DRT5405   The Standard version?  Are you in Canada?  

This is the USA forum.

Here is the Canada forum  

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help

Or Contact TurboTax Canada Support

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies