Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i enter code from cp301?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The IRS CP301 notice is a confirmation you signed up for an IRS online service and is confirming your registration or sending a needed activation code. If you didn't initiate registration of an online account or request an activation code you can lock your account by following the IRS instruction below.

Read the notice carefully. The only reason you need to take any action is if you did NOT register for an IRS online service. If you did NOT, you should immediately lock access to your IRS account to prevent fraud. The IRS gives clear next steps on their site here.

As noted, it is a confirmation and does not require any action if you did register an IRS online account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Quid
Level 1

There is a failure to communicate here. The IRS is now requiring periodic reverification of my identity and likely everyone else's sooner or later, in order to be able to continue to user their online services. I was not able to (re)verify online because the system could not correlate my mobile number to me. So I requested and have received a CP301 notice letter which contains a new verification code. The directions thereon state:

To complete your online services registration:

* Visit irs.gov/onlineservices (Check, no problem)

* Sign in with the username and password you created (Check, no problem)

* Enter your activation code below (PROBLEM, there is no prompt to enter the activation code! Only a series of questions to verify my identity all over again, which doesn't for me, just as it didn't work the first time. It's an endless loop.)

This is what the original poster is asking. So to state "The only reason you need to take any action is if you did NOT register for an IRS online service." if one DID access IRS online services and request an activation code not correct. They DO have to log in and enter their activation code, but the website is not allowing at least two of us to do so.

I'm trying to enter my activation code.  What must I do?

OK then I'm good.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies