Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrichter

How do I attach multiple 1099B pdfs to a 1041 return

TurboTax Business (download to Windows)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"How do I attach multiple 1099B pdfs to a 1041 return"

That function is not officially supported by TurboTax Business.

However, if you have PDF software capable of inserting pages into an existing PDF, then you should be able to insert the multiple 1099B PDFs into the Form 8453-FE file and upload that new file to TurboTax Business as an attachment.

An example appears below.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

"How do I attach multiple 1099B pdfs to a 1041 return"

That function is not officially supported by TurboTax Business.

However, if you have PDF software capable of inserting pages into an existing PDF, then you should be able to insert the multiple 1099B PDFs into the Form 8453-FE file and upload that new file to TurboTax Business as an attachment.

An example appears below.

Last year I was able to attach the 8453 signature form and the 1099 B statement as two separate files,  what changed

@Crusader This thread addresses TurboTax Business and would not be applicable to the TurboTax personal income tax preparation products.

I am using Turbo Tax Business form 1041, last year I was able to attach 2 pdfs one for signature and one for 1099 B,  this year there is no prompts to add the 1099 B.

The instructions state " your attaching a statement and have only summary entries for thois account "   Trying to find out why I cannot attach the 1099 B,  it worked last year 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

This may be able to assist you for the TurboTax personal preparation products. After you finish entering the sales for the first broker, continue through the interview until you get to the screen that says "Here's the investment sales info we have so far." On that screen, click the button that says Add More Sales. That will take you back to the beginning of the investment sales interview. A couple of screens later it will ask you for the name of the brokerage, and you can enter the second broker's name. Then continue to enter the sales for that broker. Repeat this as many times as needed to enter all the brokers. 

Please let us know if this helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Crusader wrote:

I am using Turbo Tax Business form 1041, last year I was able to attach 2 pdfs one for signature and one for 1099 B,  this year there is no prompts to add the 1099 B.

Can you post the steps you used to attach two PDFs in the 2019 software? I have a copy of the 2019 edition of TurboTax Business and can only attach one PDF (in the File section when e-filing).

This is what Turbo Tax states............If you are e-filing your tax return, you will need to attach a PDF copy of your 1099-B or broker statement(s) when you transmit your return. We will guide you through this process at that time......................

Last year I was able to attach 2 pdfs , signature and details for form 8949 ( 1099 B ).     I don't recall how I did it but I am guessing I followed some kind of prompts.....  They said they will guide you , but I cannot find any such guidance for the 1099 B.   The attachment drop down shows it can have additional pdfs,  so there appears to be a issue on inserting more than one.

@Crusader wrote:

Last year I was able to attach 2 pdfs , signature and details for form 8949 ( 1099 B ).     I don't recall how I did it but I am guessing I followed some kind of prompts.....  They said they will guide you , but I cannot find any such guidance for the 1099 B.   The attachment drop down shows it can have additional pdfs,  so there appears to be a issue on inserting more than one.

I read exactly the same written guidance, but was never prompted to attach details for Form 8949 (i.e., to attach a PDF of a 1099-B). I was only prompted to attach Form 8453-FE.

Further, the attachment description dialog box appears to be sort of a generic box that might be used by programmers for different editions of the software. 

Regardless, I can almost guarantee you that you did not attach a PDF of your 1099-B unless that was combined with your 8453-FE or you overwrote your 8453-FE when you thought you were attaching another PDF (which can happen easily).

Below is guidance from the Home & Business program and, as you can readily see, users have to mail their statements with an 8453; it cannot be e-filed.

Mailing Instructions

Take a moment to double-check that your statements are complete. For each sale listed, there should be:

- A Description
- Date Acquired
- Date Sold
- Sales Price
- Cost Basis
- Gain or loss for each sale
- A sale category based on how the sale was reported to you and the IRS

In some uncommon cases, there will be an adjustment code and adjustment amount.

NOTE: Any sales summaries that include only Box A or Box D sales, and which have no adjustments to gain/loss, do not need to be included on a statement mailed to the IRS.

Here's how to mail your statements:

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are not e-filing, then mail your statements with your entire tax return to your local IRS office.

I have to disagree with you as you can see , I had  2 pdf files entered as attachments in my 2019 return on my 1041.  So there has to be a way to insert additional attachments vs just a signature pdf.

2019 Attachments 1041.jpg

@Crusader wrote:

I have to disagree with you as you can see , I had  2 pdf files entered as attachments in my 2019 return on my 1041.  So there has to be a way to insert additional attachments vs just a signature pdf.

I did not intend to dispute that you had somehow attached another PDF but, rather, that doing so is not officially supported (despite what the guidance states) and I have been unable to find a method to attach two separate PDFs in either the 2019 or 2020 versions of TurboTax Business.

Hopefully, you can re-create the procedure and post it here since others are definitely interested in attaching additional PDFs.

neljb
Returning Member

Why does the system give me the option to add a summary and attach the 1099-B statement if the program later will not let you add the attachement?

@neljb wrote:

Why does the system give me the option to add a summary and attach the 1099-B statement if the program later will not let you add the attachement?

That is a system anomaly which needs to be corrected (by either removing the option or allowing the attachment).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies