Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change the designation of an S corp from SSTB to non-SSTB? There is no way in the K-1 1120s dialog to make this choice. This affects my QBI deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How can I change the designation of an S corp from SSTB to non-SSTB? There is no way in the K-1 1120s dialog to make this choice. This affects my QBI deduction.

That designation is made at the entity level; you cannot change it.

Whether or not you can take the deduction at your level depends upon your taxable income.

I'm sorry I don't understand your answer, but it doesn't address my question. The S corp that I work for is not an SSTB. However, TurboTax made the assumption that it is, thereby affecting my tax return negatively. I was not able to change that in TurboTax, even after consulting several people on this forum and one at TurboTax. I had to delete the entire K-1 and start over again. This time, for some odd reason TurboTax assumed it was not an SSTB, so that was a positive. Unfortunately it made another error when preparing the 8995-A form. It appears Intuit is still struggling to figure out the 8995 forms. I tried TaxSlayer, and they seems to have it in better shape.

nancylin
Returning Member

I am having the same SSTB designation issue but in a different way.  I am an SSTB but TurboTax, like you experienced, no longer even asks that question on the 2019 edition.  So when I switch to FORMS view, I see that SSTB is not checked off and I got a HUGE tax reduction that I am not supposed to get.  I called customer service but they were of no help and was transferred to an automated queue that said I would receive a callback.  No callback in 36 hours now!  HUGE bug!

I can manually check off the box, but I should not have to.  Gives me 0 confidence that my taxes are being done correctly.

I can't manually check off the SSTB box.  How did you do that?  I'm not an SSTB.

I believe I started this thread. I eventually was able to fix the problem by deleting my K-1 in TurboTax, and re-entering it. Somehow, the second time around, TT must have assumed "not an SSTB", because the results were different.  However, there was still no question in the dialogue about SSTB.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies