turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lv808

E-file says that the carryover shown for line 24 does not match the sum of the section 179 carryovers. How can I find the number that it's requesting to complete filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

E-file says that the carryover shown for line 24 does not match the sum of the section 179 carryovers. How can I find the number that it's requesting to complete filing?

Type   nol carryforward   into the search box and then click the "jump to nol carryforward" link

Or

Click Federal 

Click Wages & Income

Scroll down to Other Business Situations and click Show more

Scroll down to Net Operating Loss/QBI Carryforward loss and click Start

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Method 1. There is no "Jump To NOL Carryforward Link" appearing after searching using the term "nol carryforward ". There are 41 pages of other responses. I gave up at 13 pages. Method 2. There is no "Federal" to click on. There is "Federal Refund" and "Federal Review". I had to create my own solution. Click on "Business". Scroll down to heading "Less Common Business Situations". Select "Operating Loss QBI Carryforward". Enter your number. Having done this I still get bonked at the moment I try to e-file: "Check This Entry. Carryover Worksheet: Line 24 (1st col) - The total Section 179 carryover shown here does not match the sum of the Section 179 carryovers shown on each individual activity..." What does activity even mean? Come on Intuit Turbo Tax, please get your act together so I can e-file. Peter W. @carryforward,  @QBI,  @Section179, @section179, @section 179 carryover, @kris D15 @tax expert

@KrisD15  Please forward my comments to Jack in Sacramento Turbo Tax. Thank you, Peter W

the response makes no sense.

How can i talk with someone?

Im having the same problem as others. Section 179 carryovers each activity dont add up.  Looking at my 2019 returns, i cant determine what is going on.  What is an activity.  What numbers am i adding up?

I'm also having the same problem and have spent over 15 hours on the phone with TurboTax!  I've been through the 3rd level of support and no one can tell me what's going on!  :(

GCecil

I guess Im number 8 on this list.   Spent countless hours trying to figure out what is going on here.  Disappointed the previous post paints a hopeless picture.

tlopoii4
Returning Member

I'm having the same issue on my 2021 return. I have no carryovers, and the value in the form is zero, so what's going on?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Resolving this issue will take some time and investigation. Here's a process posted by @Mike9241 from tax year 2021 that would be a great place to start. (Note that you may need TurboTax CD/Download installed on your computer in order to access the mentioned forms to make changes.)

"The amount shown on the carryover wks is the total section 179 carryover from all activities in last year's return.

In order for this amount to be properly deducted in this year's return, you must also enter the carryover on the activity that originally generated the deduction.

If the sum of the carryovers on the individual activities does not match the total carryover shown here, we give you an error message asking you to review the carryovers and make sure they are correct.

If you get the error message and any of the section 179 carryover from [a prior year] is attributable to qualified real property (QRP) and you have made adjustments to the section 179 carryover on the individual activities from which the deduction was taken (per IRS instructions), you will need to adjust the amount on this worksheet to reflect those changes. In this case, correct the number on this worksheet to match the sum of the carryovers on the individual activities.

If you get the error message on a transferred file, review last year's return to make sure that the allowable section 179 was allocated properly. Specifically, you should check that in last year's return:

• the allowable section 179 on each activity does not exceed the total of the section 179 elected for that activity last year, plus any section 179 carryover to that activity last year, and
  • the sum of the allowable section 179 on all activities equals the total allowable section 179 shown on Form 4562:Section 179 Limitation.

If there was an error in allocating the Section 179 in last year's return, you may need to amend the return to correct the allocation."

Additional info:

Please, tell me where to find the numbers that are needed to make this error message go away. Not the turbo tac rhetoric. I have been trying for 5 days to submit my taxes and this error message is holding me up. I do not know where to find the numbers to add up. I have printed the Depreciation and Amortization Reports for both activities for 2020 and 2021 and do not know what numbers to add. Pleas, Please HELP I have to go into the hospital tomorrow for some procedures and I just want to submit & pay my taxes today so that I can rest before

my hospital stay. The amount Turbo tax transferred from my 2020 taxes is the same amount it was in 2019 and the same amount that showed up on my 2021 taxes.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

This is not an easy situation to resolve, especially if you have more than one entry for Section 179 carryovers. 

If you're using TurboTax for desktop, you can see the Section 179 expense deduction in Forms Mode.

See: How do I switch to Forms Mode in the TurboTax for Windows software?

1. Look for "Carryover Wks" near the bottom of the left column, and click to open in the large window.
  2. Scroll down to Line 24.
  3. Right-click the box for 2021 and choose Data Source to see where Section 179 expense/carryover has been reported this year.
  4. The form is a hyperlink, so you can click to open the Sec 179 Rpt.
  5. Repeat the Data Source lookup to see if you can access the actual form where the expense is entered.
  6. Do not override any calculated numbers in black. You can edit any number in blue. As long as the box doesn't turn red, the edit is acceptable.

Finally, if this is a rounding issue, sometimes you can resolve the situation by changing a number by a dollar.

Nothing is in blue. There is one "mort-gateway-views-1" entry - all the others are "-0" entries.

I can't believe how many hours I have spent trying to get past this. I already paid for telephone help. He checked every number in my entire return, but all were okay. By this time it was past 2 AM and we were both exhausted, so he told me to find the source of the sum "8524" but I couldn't find it.

To say that I am exhausted would be an understatement. Next year I'll pay a human being. And probably this year too, unless I am gifted with a miracle.

wpt1wpt1

If you enter the number zero the error will go away, you short yourself the carry over but it works

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies