Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JohnatRR
Returning Member

Does a general partnership issue 1099's? Can't find info on this ANYWHERE!

Hi all,

I'd like to know if general partnerships should issue 1099's. Our newly formed record label used the services of one company (for over $600) and one foreign (Berlin, Germany) sole proprietor (also over $600). Does the partnership need to issue 1099's or any other paperwork for either of these?

Thanks in adv,
John

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

It depends.  Foreign independent contractors, corporations and businesses do not receive form 1099. They receive form 1042-S if the payment is reportable.  You should have collected form W-8BEN-E or W-8BEN and have them claim a tax treaty for a reduced or 0% withholding rate.  It doesn't matter if the payment is coming from a general partnership, LLC, Corporation, or sole proprietorship; the reportability has to do with the recipient.

If the US company that you paid was a corporation, it does not receive a 1099, unless the payments were reportable as follows:

The following payments made to corporations generally must be reported on Form 1099-MISC.

• Medical and health care payments reported in box 6
  • Gross proceeds paid to an attorney reported in box 10.
  • Substitute payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest reported in box 8.
JohnatRR
Returning Member

Thank you @ReneeM7122!

Regarding the foreign sole proprietor, can you expand upon "if the payment is reportable" please? Is our general partnership responsible for them completing form 1042-S and W-8BEN? Do we submit these forms, or do they? Which of these forms, if any, must be submitted by us with our filing of form 1065, or at any other time?

Thanks again.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would have to review the Amounts Subject to Reporting on Form 1042-S in the following publication by the IRS to see if you need to withhold taxes:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1042s#idm140156604938576

The withholding requirement includes a situation wherein you are paying compensation for independent personal services performed in the United States. That may be the stipulation that is most applicable to your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnatRR
Returning Member

Thanks @ThomasM125, IRS deals in jargon and the grammar is hard to decipher reliably in the first sentence:

"Generally, an amount subject to chapter 3 withholding is an amount from sources within the United States that is fixed or determinable annual or periodical (FDAP) income. FDAP income is all income included in gross income, including interest (as well as OID), dividends, rents, royalties, and compensation."

My question concerns a one-time payment of around $625 to a producer who remixed a song. Given it's not annual or periodical I'm guessing that I do not need to file the aforementioned forms for this payment.

Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@JohnatRR I would agree! Since the payment was a one-time thing, the withholding would seem to not apply. Also, it is too late to withhold taxes if you already paid the invoice!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnatRR
Returning Member

Thanks again @ThomasM125 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies