Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a Form 1065 for a multi-member LLC if the business has not yet opened and is still under construction for 2021? Do I claim lease/build-out expenses now?

My husband and I are starting a business and obtained multi-member LLC in 2021. No gains or losses and leasing a stand-alone unit in a town center. Unit is still under construction but expenses are paid for leasing and construction in 2021, and business cards, etc. The business is not yet open.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to file a Form 1065 for a multi-member LLC if the business has not yet opened and is still under construction for 2021? Do I claim lease/build-out expenses now?

You would prepare the return, to include rent and the costs such as the marketing (business cards). However, the leasehold improvements would not be deducted until the business began operating.

View solution in original post

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The down-payment to your contractor is part of the business asset you are creating. The total cost will be capitalized for depreciation once the unit is placed in service (ie: you are open for business).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You won't need to elect to amortize - you'll simply add the total cost as an asset for amortization for your business. Until then, keep good accounting records so you have that information ready next year.

6 Replies

You would prepare the return, to include rent and the costs such as the marketing (business cards). However, the leasehold improvements would not be deducted until the business began operating.

Thank you @ZoltanB45  for the help and reply!  We paid only the down payment in 2021 so far to our contractor for the build-out.  We should not claim this yet as an expense on the 2021 return?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The down-payment to your contractor is part of the business asset you are creating. The total cost will be capitalized for depreciation once the unit is placed in service (ie: you are open for business).

Thank you @PatriciaV  for the reply!  The build-out total cost itself will wait to be deducted until the business starts, and will be amortized?  We need to complete a form to request amortization but not until business opens?  Thank you for the help!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You won't need to elect to amortize - you'll simply add the total cost as an asset for amortization for your business. Until then, keep good accounting records so you have that information ready next year.

Great!  Thank you @PatriciaV  for the help and answers!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies