Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alik
Level 1

Do I divide Sch. C inventory and how - married filing separately

For reasons not relevant here I and my wife are required to file separately this year. I own a couple Sch. C Sole Proprietor businesses in which I materially participate, but she does not. The businesses have inventory. We also have a prenup agreement that pretty much keep our income finances separate.
However, we are in  California - a community property state. So my understanding is that in a community property we are required to allocate the Sch. C profits/losses 50/50 to each of us regardless, and whether we like it or not (we'd rather not).

Two questions:

1)  Is that correct, or is there a way for me to put all the profit/loss on my own return?

2) It's easy enough to split all expenses and revenues, but how do you treat beginning and ending inventory counts? This is the 1st year she's filing a tax return in US and my businesses existed before that. 
Do you I put each spouse's beginning of the year inventory as half of what it actually is (and same for year end)?
That would appear to create a contradiction with previous year's return - my 2021 beginning inventory would show as half of 2020 year end inventory.
And her new" business would appear to start with an inventory which came out of nothing.
That seems like an instant red flag for an audit for both of us.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Your prenup might be upheld against state law, but you need to consult with your attorney to confirm how it will be treated.

If it is upheld, you will file your Schedule C forms as you have in the past retaining all the income and property under your SSN.

If the business activities have to be split 50/50, you no longer have a Sole Proprietorship but actually have a Partnership.  You will not report the business activities on a Schedule C after the split, but on a Partnership return, Form 1065. You will provide the K-1s from the return to yourself and your wife in order to report the income on your respective personal tax returns.  The formation date of the Partnership will be the date the split became effective.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alik
Level 1

Thank you. But perhaps there is some confusion.  Partnerships are treated completely differently. From everything else I'm reading, you still treat it as a Sole Proprietorship, but allocate all expenses/income 50/50 (except Self-Employment tax which all goes to one).
Example: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/married-filing-separately-sole-proprietor-busines...

My only questions are if it's somehow optional and how to treat inventory.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You have a different situation because you have a prenup.  You should not accept tax advice until you have confirmation from your attorney as to how the prenup effects your business.

Alik
Level 1

The attorney who prepared it has previously stated that the prenup has no bearing on taxes.
Also all the IRS info seems to also make no mention of property separation, implying that its rules trump it in a community property state. Is that not the case?.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

If that is the case, your statement in your first post that "We also have a prenup agreement that pretty much keep our income finances separate." is inaccurate because income has a direct impact on taxes.

If your attorney has advised that the prenup does not protect your business to be reported solely by you, then the information posted by @Thomas125 here is accurate for you too as well.

@Alik

Alik
Level 1

No, we really do have an prenup that pretty much keep all our finances separate. It's just that is applies to our peroneal internal accounting and property division in case of divorce, not necessarily taxes. You can't write a personal contract that overwrites tax law. I only mentioned it in case there was some way to use it as an option. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it not to detract. 

But regardless, none of that addresses my actual two questions, especially the main one about the begin/end inventory handling.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Per IRS 2021 Instructions for Schedule C :

• Report your income and deductions as follows:
    • " If only one spouse participates in the business, all of the income from that business is the self-employment earnings of that spouse who carried on the business
    • "If both spouses participate, the income and deductions are allocated to the spouses based on their distributive shares.
    • ".   

The above info is for a business co-owned by both spouses. If you own the business 100%, you should report all gross income and deductions on your Schedule C, including inventories, of course. You pay all the self-employment tax, and half of the net income is reported on your spouse's return. 

2021 Instructions for Schedule C.

@Alik

Alik
Level 1

OK. But doesn't that that part you marked in red about only one spouse reporting al of it if only they materially participated apply only n states which are NOT community states?
Isn't that why the community states are listed later on?

Alik
Level 1

Very confusing language. Bottom line is - can I put it all on my own return only (filing separately), given that only I martially participated, EVEN THOUGH we are in a community state?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will report the business return on your tax return, which incudes income, expenses, and inventories. Once you determine your net profit/net loss from the business, then you report the income/loss 50/50.  This is a requirement that you must meet living in a community property state. Please read this IRS publication for additional information.

@Alik

Alik
Level 1

OK. So if I do only one Schedule C (on my own return), then after adding up all incomes and expenses it will result in the TOTAL income/loss. So then:

1) What form and line do I enter half of the income/loss into on my wife's taxes?

2) Likewise, how/where do I take off that half from my taxes wo we're not counting it twice?

I mean, I know you have to fill out form 8958 to show how you split the incomes, but it says: "Each of you must complete and attach Form 8958 to your return showing how you figured the amount you are reporting on your return. On the appropriate lines of your separate return, list only your share of the income and deductions on the appropriate lines of your separate tax returns (wages, interest, dividends, etc.). "

The questions is, what is that "appropriate line" in the case of a Sch. C income?
It can't be line 31 - Profit and Loss - on the Sch. C itself because that's a computed amount (from the rest of Sch. C) , not a simply entered one.
So how do I correct it to show only a half and where do I enter her half on her return?

Partnerships and single member LLC's are virtually taxed the same.  You should begin preparing 1065's and just giving you and your spouse a k-1. The simplest way to record it this year, would be to split the activity in 2 schedule c's. If the problem is you cannot create 2 schedule c's with the same ein, then take the schedule c with the LLC name and your spouse will just use her name as a sole proprietor. 

Alik
Level 1

IT IS NOT A LLC OR A PARTNERSHIP! IT IS A SOLE PROPERIETOSHIP!

Alik
Level 1

And you're completely contradicting DaveF1006's previous post which says to only fill out one Sch. C.
I don't know which is correct, but it's a direct contradiction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies