Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deferring crop insurance proceeds

I have crop insurance proceeds reported on 1099-Misc that I want to defer to 2021.  In the input area for Crop Insurance for Farm Rental Income and Expense, there is only a field for crop insurance NOT reported on a 1099. If I enter it here it gives me the option to defer it.  However, if I enter it in Farm Income Reported on 1099-Misc (because it was reported on a 1099) TurboTax does not give me the opportunity to defer it.  How can I enter the crop insurance proceeds as both reported on 1099 AND defer it to 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I had similar question for farm rental (form 4835).  The solution seems to be to NOT report the crop insurance proceeds in the 1099-MISC part of farm income step-by-step.  Instead report the crop insurance proceeds further down under the heading "Crop Insurance Payments/Federal Disaster payments".  After I did that I got the option to defer.

I'm not sure why there are 2 entry possibilities. 

Did you get any clarification from TurboTax?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The entry of Forms 1099 is not a requirement, however in most cases it's a convenience.  The IRS already has a copy of your 1099-MISC.  Due to the many changes this year, there are experiences where a direct entry is the best solution. 

As you see, reporting the crop insurance proceeds in the specific section for this income on the Schedule F produces the necessary results.  Do not try to make two entries.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies