turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

48danatax

Can I file 1099-NEC for the contracted employees of my Schedule C business? The FAQ suggests that I can do this with the Self-employed edition.

When I go to the Quick Employer Forms, the instructions there say that I have to be filing a 1065, 1120-S or 1120 in order to use this service. Which is correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Can I file 1099-NEC for the contracted employees of my Schedule C business? The FAQ suggests that I can do this with the Self-employed edition.

Yes, you can use the TurboTax Self-Employed version to prepare and file 1099-NEC for the independent contractors of your Schedule C business. 

As you complete the business interview and tell the program you made 1099-type payments, , the program will take you to Quick Employer Forms (QEF).

QEF will allow Sole-proprietorships to prepare 1099 forms and W-2s (see the Business Entity selection in the attached sample screen)

What is Quick Employer Forms?

I have filled in all the 1099 information for a contractor, however I did not withhold any Federal taxes or state taxes for this individual. I'm now trying to print all the 1099 forms (A, B, C, Payer) but there is no A (ie Federal form) printing. What is the reason and do I need to correct that somehow? If so, what did I do to not get the Federal form to show up?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Copy A of Form 1099-NEC is provided for informational purposes only, and not to be printed by you.  In fact, the IRS website's copy of Form 1099-NEC states "Do not print and file copy A downloaded from this website".

The IRS will get their "Copy A" electronically, when you efile. Copy B goes to the Recipient (your contractors) and Copy C goes to the Payer (you).

See Form 1099-NEC for additional details.

Quick Employer Forms does not work for the Self Employed Online Turbotax Version. When you click on General Info. and Edit, then scroll down to "Payments and Identification". It says Required to send a 1099, then yes. If you click on Edit, then "Help Me Prepare and File W-2's and 1099's". A side bar comes up where you can click on "Quick Employer Forms". When you do this here is the message that pops up:

This year, it's easier than ever to create W-2 and 1099 forms online, and automatically e-file the forms directly to the SSA and IRS.
To continue with unlimited access to TurboTax Quick Employer Forms, you must be using 2020 TurboTax Business or 2020 TurboTax Home & Business software products, which can be purchased here.

Why do I need to purchase the Turbotax download for a Partnerships, S Corp, or C Corp to use Quick Employer Forms for $140 when I am a Sole Proprietorship? Prefer the online version much better than the download anyway. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

QuickForms does work for the Self-Employed TurboTax online version. I tested it with a mock-up return using the steps provided below. 

In order to access Quick Forms with your TurboTax Self-Employed Online, please follow these steps:

1. Sign onto your TurboTax online account here.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Your Account.
  3. Click on Create W-2's and 1099's.

Please note that if you file copies of 1099s late with the IRS, but within 30 days of the due date, then the IRS assesses a penalty of $50 per late 1099

@n8stang0414 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies