turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hvdenver1
Returning Member

Can I enter 1099-NEC with Premier version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can enter Form 1099-NEC and the associated Schedule C if you are using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax Premier.  You can also use the Premier version of TurboTax Online if you do not have any expenses to claim on the Schedule C.  Otherwise, if you are also claiming business expenses, then the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online or one of the CD/downloaded versions of the program must be used.

Since the income reported on Form 1099-NEC is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed.   To do this within TurboTax, you should start with the Schedule C and then include the Form 1099-NEC as part of the income associated with the self-employed business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can enter Form 1099-NEC and the associated Schedule C if you are using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax Premier.  You can also use the Premier version of TurboTax Online if you do not have any expenses to claim on the Schedule C.  Otherwise, if you are also claiming business expenses, then the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online or one of the CD/downloaded versions of the program must be used.

Since the income reported on Form 1099-NEC is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed.   To do this within TurboTax, you should start with the Schedule C and then include the Form 1099-NEC as part of the income associated with the self-employed business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
coveyjs
Returning Member

Question to add; 

2020 was the first year I freelanced. 

For filing 2019 we used Premier married filing jointly. 

Well 2020 was the first year I have a W2 and freelanced with a 1099-NEC. I tracked all my business expenses. 

Should I now use the Self-employed version rather than the Premier version? And can I still file married filing jointly with the Self-employed version? 

Thanks, 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Absolutely you can still file Married Filing Jointly with TurboTax Self-Employed. Your information from Premier will transition over to Self-Employed. You will be able to enter any Forms 1099-NEC you receive for your freelance work and prepare your Schedule C to deduct your ordinary and necessary expenses.  If you work from a home office, you also may be able to deduct the expense of a home office deduction.

coveyjs
Returning Member

@JeffreyR77 

Thank you so much for your prompt response and detailed explanation. Greatly appreciate it. 

Make today a great day! 😊

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies