turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am in Florida and I will be starting a business with another person and we want to keep the income separate, do we both need to create our own LLC under a corporation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am in Florida and I will be starting a business with another person and we want to keep the income separate, do we both need to create our own LLC under a corporation?

As others have commented on this question, the best advice is to seek the advise of a professional, most likely a business attorney.  There is more to be considered than just taxes.

You need to choose the form of business that makes sense for the type of business you are conducting, in the state you are doing business in, what your goals are, and what you feel comfortable.

Lack of action will, for tax purposes at least and perhaps for other situations as well, automatically treat you as a partnership.  If not formally, then at least informally.  There are benefits and risks in conducting business as a partnership.  More risks than needed if not formed, have a partnership agreement, and conform to the laws of the state you're doing business in.

Again, seek professional advice.  Good Luck.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

PLEASE seek local professional assistance in setting up the correct entity for your situation ... putting 2 LLCs as partners in another company may be tricky and unneeded.

I agree.  If you are starting a business, then ACT like a business.  Go to a tax professional (and perhaps a business attorney) to get things set up and for doing things for AT LEAST the first year.

As others have commented on this question, the best advice is to seek the advise of a professional, most likely a business attorney.  There is more to be considered than just taxes.

You need to choose the form of business that makes sense for the type of business you are conducting, in the state you are doing business in, what your goals are, and what you feel comfortable.

Lack of action will, for tax purposes at least and perhaps for other situations as well, automatically treat you as a partnership.  If not formally, then at least informally.  There are benefits and risks in conducting business as a partnership.  More risks than needed if not formed, have a partnership agreement, and conform to the laws of the state you're doing business in.

Again, seek professional advice.  Good Luck.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies