Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Payments to a contractor

My LLC remodeled the condo we are renting out. How do I claim the amount we paid the contractor on my LLC taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Payments to a contractor

You don't say what kind of LLC. Multi-member LLC? Single member LLC?

Either way, *ALL* income and *ALL* expenses for residential rental real estate are reported on SCH E *no* *matter* *what* kind of tax return  you are preparing.

If a personal 1040 tax return, it's reported on SCH E as a physical part of that 1040 personal tax return.

If a 1065 Multi-member LLC/Partnership, then it's still reported on SCH E as a physical part of that 1065 tax return.

Property improvements are reported in the Assets/Depreciation section of the SCH E and depreciated over time. They are not "deducted" per-se. Sounds like your renovations would be classified as "Residental Rental Real Estate" and therefore depreciated over 27.5 years.

Payments to a contractor

If you are using TurboTax Business (as indicated in your profile), you will enter the payment as a Rental Real Estate Asset located under the Federal Taxes tab in the Rental Real Estate section (see screenshot). Your income and expenses related to your rental property(ies) will be reported on Form 8825.

8825.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies