turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my W-2, in box 14 there are 3 separate amounts listed. Should I add them up and enter the total?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DeniseF1

On my W-2, in box 14 there are 3 separate amounts listed. Should I add them up and enter the total?

No. Enter each item separately on it's own row. Select the 'Add Another Row' link to enter additional Box 14 description, amount, and category. See attachment.

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row. Enter the dollar amount and select the correct tax category that goes with that description.

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you later in the interview.

liggity87

What if your not sure if it matches a catagory?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If your amounts in box 14 do not match a particular category, you should put them in Other - not on the above list. I have attached a picture for additional reference. 

@liggity87

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LenaH  So if I have separate lines for box 14 of "Donation", "RSU", "SSAR" the category should be other - not on the above list?

@LenaH actually my drop down list has "other - not classified". Is this the same thing?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@camachos67 Yes, choose 'Other, Not Classified' if your Box 14 codes on your W-2 don't match any of the dropdown list selections.

Box 14 items don't usually affect your tax return.

Click this link for more info on Box 14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies