Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello6

I am the only owner and employee of an S Corp. Report my workers comp premium in Box 1 of W-2 similar to health premium and deduct as wages in 1120S ? Please advise.

I am the only owner and employee of an S Corp. Should I report my workers comp premium in Box 1 of W-2 similar to health premium and deduct as wages in 1120S ?

If Yes, how to deduct workers comp premium in 1040 personal return ?

Please advise on how to get deduction for workers comp premium for S corp owner.

From Publication 535:

b. If an S corporation pays workers' compensation premiums for its more than2%
shareholder employees, it generally can deduct them, but must also include them in the shareholder's wages.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RichardK

I am the only owner and employee of an S Corp. Report my workers comp premium in Box 1 of W-2 similar to health premium and deduct as wages in 1120S ? Please advise.

No, workers compensation is a business expense deductible by the S corporation as an ordinary and necessary expense.

Hello6

Thank You! However, I see the below in IRS publication 535. It says that Worker's comp insurance premium must be included in shareholder wages for S Corp owner. Please clarify.

b. If an S corporation pays workers' compensation premiums for its morethan2%
shareholder employees, it generally can deduct them, but must also include them in the shareholder's wages.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies