turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelly5

Do I need to enter EIN anywhere

My husband's primary job is as a self employed painter/drywall repair business. He also plays music professionally on the side (this used to be his primary income). We have always used his Social Security number on all tax forms. Last year (2016) he played on two music demo tracks which the label paid for. Their policy is that they will not issue any payments based on a Social Security number - they told us we had to get an EIN number. So we did. It turned out that the payment was only $150 and we didn't even get a 1099 for it (I'm claiming the income under other income).

My question is - do I need to enter this EIN anywhere, you can I just skip it and use his Social Security numbers as we always have. It's unlikely that we will get any more payments from this same company in the future.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

As long as you have it, I would enter it in the Sch C.  I won't hurt (won't really help either, but then you can keep track of it in case you need it).

But you would file the Sch C with your 1040 and use SSN for 1040 filing.  But there is a box at the top of the Sch C for EIN...so, I would fill it in.

The EIN would be needed if you ever have to file payroll or F1099 for payments he makes....

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
kelly5

As I said - the only reason we got it was for this ONE payment of $150 - we will never have to file any payroll or 1099s for this. All he did was play guitar on two songs. Wouldn't it look strange to use his Social Security number on the Sch C for his painting business (which was 90% of his income this year and he received multiple 1099s for - using his Social Security number) and then this EIN for the very small amount of income he received for playing music?

No, it is often done.  The SSN is still the primary number for a Sch C because it is on the 1040.  But many, many Sch Cs also have an EIN that are needed for other returns and are cross-referenced back to the Sch C.
I won't really matter one way or the other at this point.  Just thought that putting it on to keep the cross-reference easy to see for all.
**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
kelly5

So I should be save to leave it off - but I could enter on the Sch C for his musician income? Either way is ok?
kelly5

Could anyone confirm that I am safe to leave it off?

I would enter it on his music Sch C
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies