Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New business no income

My husband and I opened a new construction co (LLC) midyear 2022, we made no income but had a small amount of expenses. Do we have to file a return for 2023 or can we save the expenses and file next year after we start earning?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

New business no income

You need to file a Schedule C for the new business.  You can only claim the expenses you incurred in 2022 on your 2022 tax return (i.e., you can't "hold" them for next year).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

New business no income

I downloaded turbo tax Business.  how many businesses can I make a return for? I need 2.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

New business no income

You can file multiple Schedule Cs.  

Add another Schedule C:

1. Open your return
  2. Search for schedule c in search box.
  3. Click on jump to schedule c link.
  4. Click on +Add another business.

New business no income

Oh I found that I need to enter it in Home and Business.

I assume it is due April not March like Business returns

Thank you

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

New business no income

Yes, if you are reporting business income on Schedule C, it is included as part of your personal tax return and is due April 18th, 2023 for the 2022 tax return.

@renee9398 

New business no income

Hi,

I have a similar question.  We purchased equipment and supplies for the new business in 2022 but had no income.  Can we deduct the expenses of the equipment and supplies on this return?

New business no income

Yes,  the loss will reduce other earned income.

New business no income

So am I correct that this would fall under "investigating the creation" of the business?  That is what we were doing in 2022...determining whether there was a market for the work and whether it would be viable.

Thank you!

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

New business no income

Perhaps.  The prior posts were based on your statement that you had purchased equipment and supplies for your business.  Those expenses are deductible in the year you incurred them.  The exception would be for equipment that has a useful life greater than one year as such equipment needs to be depreciated.  Yet, there are other Internal Revenue Code provisions that allow for accelerated depreciation.  TurboTax will guide you through the options you have regarding depreciation and expensing.

Your most recent post seems to be raising the issue of business start-up costs.  Here, the analysis is a little different.  The IRS provides the following regarding business start-up costs:

Business startup and organizational costs are generally capital expenditures.  However, you can elect to deduct up to $5,000 of business startup and $5,000 of organizational costs paid or incurred after October 22, 2004.  The $5,000 deduction is reduced by the amount your total startup or organizational costs exceed $50,000. Any remaining costs must be amortized. 

Startup costs include any amounts paid or incurred in connection with creating an active trade or business or investigating the creation or acquisition of an active trade or business. Organizational costs include the costs of creating a corporation or partnership.

How to make the election.

You elect to deduct the startup or organizational costs by claiming the deduction on your income tax return (filed by the due date including extensions) for the tax year in which the active trade or business begins. For costs paid or incurred after September 8, 2008, you are not required to attach a statement to your return to elect to deduct such costs.

As indicated above, start-up costs are limited.  As you review this guidance and how it applies to your tax situation, follow-up with any additional questions you may have. 

@Mountain4 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies