Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Need assistance completing form 982 for indebtedness

Need assistance on filling out form 982 - it is not reflecting the reduction in income

3 Replies
Level 1

Need assistance completing form 982 for indebtedness

Hello -

To enter information received on a 1099 C go to:

Federal Taxes TAB

Select Wages and Income

Select "Jump to a full list"

Scroll down to "Less common income"

Select Start next to "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C"

Follow the prompts to enter all your information

Returning Member

Need assistance completing form 982 for indebtedness

I have done that already I'm in form 982 

I already entered 1099C 

in Form 982 Part 1 (1b) marked X

line 2- 2,366.

line 3 - yes

Part 11

There is an attachment added

Now I don't know what to do

Level 15

Need assistance completing form 982 for indebtedness

I would suggest you seek professional help at this point. In my (limited) experience with this, if you don't know what to do it's usually because you have a bankruptcy or foreclosure. So the legal representative that handled the bankruptcy or foreclosure is *THE* best person to help you fill this out correctly. This is more a legal matter really, than it is a tax matter. Doing things wrong can be costly and make the cost of professional help seem like a pittance in comparison.

On top of that, the fact that you posted in the Business & Farm section indicates to me this is not a "simple" personal debt such as credit card or a foreclosure on your personal primary residence. So that's the major reason we don't get legal advice here. Only tax advice. So at this point my tax advice is that you get professional help.  This is doubly important if you state also taxes personal income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies