turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deytrpr

Started LLC in last month of year, Balance sheet won't balance due to prior assets being more than total income for that month, how to deal with assets?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Started LLC in last month of year, Balance sheet won't balance due to prior assets being more than total income for that month, how to deal with assets?

In general, when you start a new company, you contribute cash and/or assets in return for capital/equity in the company.

Your balance sheet should reflect the Assets (cash or fixed assets) and Equity (the value of what was contributed). Properly entered, this is a balanced entry.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

16 Replies
deytrpr

I don't believe I have properly entered that as the "capital Reconciliation" in not balanced.  I started llc in last month of the year, and my assets (rental property) out ways the income I received for it.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You may benefit from the assistance of a TurboTax Live Expert. See this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/turbotax-live.jsp">https://turbotax.intuit.com/per...>
deytrpr

I was told I couldn't use that for llc etc.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Do you use any accounting software to track your business? The balance sheet from that software might help you enter the info in TurboTax.
deytrpr

Yes, I do but I am only doing this for one month as the state has requested, none of the rest applies as I did a 1040 for the other 11 months...
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You should have a separate balance sheet for the month the LLC was in existence. If you run a report for just that month, it should give you the numbers you need to enter in TurboTax.
deytrpr

My assets were purchased many years prior to the formation of this llc, but are causing an imbalance in turbotax balance sheet.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I'm guessing here, but let's suppose that your assets are worth $5000 and you contributed them to the LLC when it was formed. You've done some business in the one month of going live and have $2000 income less $1000 expenses, for a net income of $1000.
Your balance sheet would be:
Fixed Assets $5000
Owners Equity $6000 (contributed assets plus net income)
Retained Earnings <$1000> (net income)
You may need to try different entries in owners equity to bring the balance sheet into balance.
deytrpr

My rental property assets contributed are well over 100,000, we made for the one month of Dec.10,000.  Can the asset be pro-rated into 12 months?
deytrpr

Oh, all our expenses have been accounted for in the prior months, insurance, taxes etc.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If you contributed all your assets into the LLC, then the total value should appear on the balance sheet of the LLC. You would not pro-rate assets in any circumstance. If you paid all your expenses prior to moving to the LLC, then the LLC has no expenses for the month of operation. From the numbers you provided, you would have $10K of net income.
Fixed Assets $100,000
Owners Equity $110,000
Retained Earnings <$10,000>
Assets = Liabilities (if you have any) + Owners Equity + Retained Earnings
deytrpr

Ok, so that is not an asset contributed to the llc because it was purchased prior to the llc existence?  But, its now an asset to the llc, rather of FIXED ASSET?  This llc is solely for our protection against lawsuits.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Whatever kind of assets you placed in the LLC would go on that side of the balance sheet. Yes, they are now assets of the LLC.
deytrpr

And, that would be declared in the balance sheet?  I'm not seeing where to add that.  Sorry, this form is completely foreign to me, way different than 1040!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies