Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asw081608
Returning Member

My 11 year old daughter has received a 1099-MISC for $6921 for a FFA project that was sold at our county fair. How do file this?

My 11 year old daughter received at 1099-MISC for $6921 for a FFA project she sold at the county fair. Do I need to file this 1099 on my taxes or file her own taxes? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My 11 year old daughter has received a 1099-MISC for $6921 for a FFA project that was sold at our county fair. How do file this?

Posted responses are correct and mine was wrong so am deleting it. She does have a filing requirement. 

@Bsch4477 wrote:

Assuming the amount was other income in box 3 she would not have a filing requirement for her income so you can ignore it. 

Assuming the daughter is a dependent, the daughter needs to file her own return because she does have a filing requirement.  That amount exceeds the "Unearned" income threshold for filing as a dependent, and the daughter likely will be subject to the Kiddie Tax.

The only time you might report a child's income on a parents return is if the child's only income is bank interest or dividends on investments in the child's name.  If there is any other income, the child must file in their own name.

Also, be aware that money from FFA is not considered self-employment.  Turbotax may ask questions like "is this a job" or "was there an intent to make a profit".    Answer these questions as No.  An FFA project is considered education, and while the income is taxable "other" or miscellaneous income, it is not self-employment income and is not subject to self-employment tax.

Because this is "other" or unearned income, your child does need to file, and may be subject to the "kiddie tax", as mentioned above. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies