turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtcstle

If I organize my hobby (beekeeping) as a business, where can I deduct the expenses on my 1040? I also receive a K-1 from my unrelated S-corp.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

If I organize my hobby (beekeeping) as a business, where can I deduct the expenses on my 1040? I also receive a K-1 from my unrelated S-corp.

Your beekeeping activities would be a self-employment business reported on Schedule C (Form 1040). 

In the Business tab, select Guide me through everything.

Answer the preliminary questions about your business name and address, and when your started your business. You will also be asked about whether you have any employees, whether you have an EIN, if you need to issue Forms 1099-MISC to persons you paid, etc. 

After completing these preliminaries, you will come to a screen titled Your business. This will be your home base, from which you can choose the information you need to enter. At a minimum, be sure to enter Business income and Business expenses. If you purchase items for resale, complete the section on Inventory / Cost of goods sold. If you bought assets to use in your business (equipment, computers, cash registers, shelving, etc.), complete the section on  Business assets.

Follow through all the parts of the interview and complete the business section of your tax return. Then, move on to the Personal tab and complete the remainder of your tax return. This is where you would enter the information from your Form K-1, which will be reported on Schedule E (Form 1040).

If you have a state income tax, the business and personal information will all be transferred into your state tax return seamlessly.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelMc

Your beekeeping activities would be a self-employment business reported on Schedule C (Form 1040). 

In the Business tab, select Guide me through everything.

Answer the preliminary questions about your business name and address, and when your started your business. You will also be asked about whether you have any employees, whether you have an EIN, if you need to issue Forms 1099-MISC to persons you paid, etc. 

After completing these preliminaries, you will come to a screen titled Your business. This will be your home base, from which you can choose the information you need to enter. At a minimum, be sure to enter Business income and Business expenses. If you purchase items for resale, complete the section on Inventory / Cost of goods sold. If you bought assets to use in your business (equipment, computers, cash registers, shelving, etc.), complete the section on  Business assets.

Follow through all the parts of the interview and complete the business section of your tax return. Then, move on to the Personal tab and complete the remainder of your tax return. This is where you would enter the information from your Form K-1, which will be reported on Schedule E (Form 1040).

If you have a state income tax, the business and personal information will all be transferred into your state tax return seamlessly.

mtcstle

May I use TT Deluxe to perform these activities or do I need Home & Business?
MichaelMc

Deluxe (desktop) will let you enter the income, but has limited support for business expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies