Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Matching Wage Deductions to W-2

TT Business recommends making sure that the payroll tax forms match what is recorded as Wages in the tax return (under Deductions). What exactly am I looking at? If I'm looking at the W-2, is it Box 1? If so, that doesn't make sense to me, since our payroll provider subtracts from Box 1 the employee's contributions to their 401k, and I don't see why that wouldn't be a Employer deductible expense. There is a separate section in TT for Retirement Plan, which I assumed was only for Employer Matching/Contribution, not the Employee Contribution. Does Employee Contribution go there?

FYI, we're a 2-person S-Corp with both members as significant owners/shareholders and active employees.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Matching Wage Deductions to W-2

Ok, I think I get it now, helped by this other TT post: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/s-[product key removed]yee-with-new-401k...

Essentially, 401k contributions (whether it comes from employee paycheck or from the employer such as matching) are put under Retirement Contributions (line 17). Therefore, they are subtracted from Wages & Salaries (line 8 so they are not deducted twice, even though in my mind this was part of the employee wages regardless how much an employee diverted to a 401k. Roth employee contributions however remain under Wages & Salaries. The W-2s Box 1 should be used for Wages & Salaries and then any employer or employee 401k contributions be put under Retirement Contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies