Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Johnsro12
Returning Member

How do i report a transfer of partnership interest from an individual to a partnership. I'm sure what box to check.

I formed a new partnership in 2017.  I transferred my ownership interest in several partnership that i owned individual to this newly formed partnership.  I received 2 k-1s.  I need to check the box for the final k-1 in my 1040, but none of the questions apply?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do i report a transfer of partnership interest from an individual to a partnership. I'm sure what box to check.

Comments on your issue:

• While you did not technically sell or liquidate the "old" partnership interest you will need to handle it in TT as if you did sell it.  This is the only way to eliminate it from your return going forward.
  • As a partner in a partnership you should be maintaining your basis in this investment.  Hopefully you have this.
  • My recommendation is to indicate in TT that you disposed of and sold your interest.  In order to not generate any gain or loss, just use your tax basis as the selling price.  Since your basis and selling price will be the same, no gain or loss will be recognized.
  • Now for the technical issues.  When you contributed property to a partnership and the FMV is not equal to your basis, then there are special rules that need to be addressed.  These rules fall under Section 704(c) and also the built-in gain or loss rules.  These can be complicated and not really something that can be discussed in a forum such as this.  I recommend you follow-up on these issues and possibly consult with a tax professional to make sure it is handled correctly.
  • Finally, your beginning tax basis in the new partnership is your tax basis in the partnership interest you contributed.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Is your new "partnership" a single member LLC or is it truly a multi-member partnership?
How have you notified the partnership that you invested in of this change?
Johnsro12
Returning Member

Multi-Member.  Yes, the transfer documentation was executed.  The Pship returns were prepared correctly.  I have a final return that i need to deal with on my 1040.  There aren't a lot options for a final return.
Johnsro12
Returning Member

Makes sense.   Thank you so much!

Welcome

Comments on your issue:

• While you did not technically sell or liquidate the "old" partnership interest you will need to handle it in TT as if you did sell it.  This is the only way to eliminate it from your return going forward.
  • As a partner in a partnership you should be maintaining your basis in this investment.  Hopefully you have this.
  • My recommendation is to indicate in TT that you disposed of and sold your interest.  In order to not generate any gain or loss, just use your tax basis as the selling price.  Since your basis and selling price will be the same, no gain or loss will be recognized.
  • Now for the technical issues.  When you contributed property to a partnership and the FMV is not equal to your basis, then there are special rules that need to be addressed.  These rules fall under Section 704(c) and also the built-in gain or loss rules.  These can be complicated and not really something that can be discussed in a forum such as this.  I recommend you follow-up on these issues and possibly consult with a tax professional to make sure it is handled correctly.
  • Finally, your beginning tax basis in the new partnership is your tax basis in the partnership interest you contributed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies