turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Looks like we've run into an error." When importing data to TurboTax 2022 download Home & Business from my financial Institution

Wen I try to import data from Bank of America to TT H&B Desktop version, everything appears to be fine.  However, after receiving the "Success! We got your tax data. You can now return to TurboTax." window I then get a TurboTax error window popping up, that says ""Looks like we've run into an error." We're sorry but we need to close TurboTax.  This may cause you to lose some of the info you've entered so please review your return after restarting to make sure nothing's missing.  Help us improve TurboTax by sending the error report created for this issue.  we'd also like to get some details about your experience when you encountered this error - please use the box below to provide additional comments.  We will only e-mail you if we need more details about this error.""

I have replied about this error to TurbTax and sent my comments to TurboTax from this error page.  This has been going on for about a month.  I even spoke with TuboTax to try and fix issue, but with no success.  I cleared cookies in both Chrome and MS Edge , changed my default browser from Chrome to Edge, uninstalled the and reinstalled software and changed screen resolution as advised.  However, I keep getting this error and TT crashes and anything done post my last save is then missing.  I will say I am able to import from a different financial institution successfully, however the import is done differently. 

When importing from Bank of America, I get a message from TT that says it will be opening a new browser window, which takes me to a special portal between TT and BofA to log in.  I put in my credentials and then get my 2FA screen, enter the code, and see a TT icon with two arrows going back and forth to my BofA icon.  When it is complete I then get the message from above "Success! We got your tax data. You can now return to TurboTax." then the error message in the TT H&B software.  When I close the page by either replying in the comments with my email address, or just canceling, the TT software shuts down.  When doing an import from Merrill Edge, the import is done directly from the software and does not open a new web browser.  The import is successful.

Sorry for the long blown out explanation, but wanted to include as many details as I could.  Has anyone experienced this before? I cannot find any other posts from this current tax year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

115 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

"Looks like we've run into an error." When importing data to TurboTax 2022 download Home & Business from my financial Institution

Please see this Help Article for information regarding when you will be able to import 1099’s. 

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@sehoffma 

Thanks Moniquel .

I tried again today and Turbotax still crashes.  Any other thoughts?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please click here to give us a call, so we can assist you by phone. @sehoffma 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I clicked on the link and called TT.  I opened now my second case, and they screen shared with me and still can't figure out why TT crashes while importing data from this FI.  There is nobody left for me to ask.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please try to update the software by following the instructions here. Uninstall and re-install do not always grab the updates. 

Also, if you have not done so, please try to change the Bank of America password, just to ensure it is being entered and recognized by Bank of America. Sometimes an older password will cause issues with connecting the account. 

Please let us know if the same issue is occurring. 

I am having the exact same problem upon attempting import from JP Morgan - Chase.  Same sequence as indicated above - a browser dialog indicating 'data successfully retrieved' and a turbo-tax dialog with 'unexpected error, turbotax has to close'.  On subsequent attempts to import,  the browser dialog indicates 'data already shared' and won't retrieve, and there is no data within turbotax.  Where is this data stored, assuming the retrieval was successful but loading into turbotax failed?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you trying to import more than one 1099 from a different account into Turbo Tax? Such as different login credentials? @lwbezanson 

exact same scenario here when importing from JP Morgan Chase

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

I cannot speak for the importation problems, I can perhaps give you a workaround that will at least allow you to continue your return and including the data that could not be imported.

The main question for the workaround is if you have received a paper copy from the financial institutions that you are trying to import from.  If you have great, if not please request as the workaround needs the paper statements showing each sections investment totals.

With the difficulties you are having with the import feature, and if you have a paper copy of the 1099-B, you can enter the data manually by group rather than on a transaction-by-transaction basis.  This may not be the ideal solution for you as most would prefer a direct import but this does work.  The following screen shows the grouping and your 1099-B will show the transactions per group:

Enter the totals for each group, such as short-term covered, short-term non-covered, etc., and that will enter the data on to Schedule D and/or Form 8949.

The IRS is more concerned with the totals than the individual transactions.

@kdholbel 

I’ve had issues importing from two different financial institutions, however after clearing caches and cookies from my browser both were subsequently successful.  

I've tried clearing cache & cookies, and also did the manual update of turbotax. Still no luck importing from JP Morgan Chase. 2 other financial institutions imported fine.

Yes, i have paper copies. I am simply trying to import 1099-INT and 1099-DIV, so those are easy to enter manually. In fact, all of my info is simple to type in. However, I purchased TurboTax  expect it to do what it is advertised to do.

If my password was incorrect, then why would 2FA work? Why do I get the message "Success! We got your tax data. You can now return to TurboTax."  I have tried all the subsequent advice to correct the problem with no success.  Now I am seeing that Bank of America is not the only FI having this issue, there is something going on with the TurboTax software.  Some FI's work and others do not.  In my case the FI that gets my credentials inside Turbotax without going through an external browser works.  However, the Bank of America import insists on opening a browser to import the data externally.  This is the one that fails.  Again I have cleared cookies in both Chrome and Edge, changed default browsers, get the same browser message "Success! We got your tax data. You can now return to TurboTax." then TT crashes and shuts down.  When I opened my last case with TT they said that my case was an isolated incident and that they would not be able to escalate the problem.  After reading below my original post, I am not the only isolated case.  There is definitely an issue with the software itself and either particular FI's or the way the data is being retrieved.  A simple error message, stating what happened would be nice rather than a 1988 software crash in Windows 3.0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies